Straight Key memory

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by AG6JU, May 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

N5HXR, KO4ESA, DD5RK and 1 other person like this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Think of it as additional practice time. 73 Rich

KO4ESA and N2OTG like this.
  3. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard guys send CQ for a very long time. They have their computer send a CQ, wait 5 seconds, and then send it again. Over and over and over. I know if I did that, I would zone out and fall asleep.

My first experience with sending a automated CQ was in 1981, when I used my Commodore 64 with my Heathkit HX-1681 transmitter.

I have several keyers that will let me send a short message, with just the touch of a button. Most of them have a loop capability. For one, I have a small box that I mounted a dual paddle on. Inside is a TICK-2 keyer chip. The TICK-2 has a single memory that can be activated by a button press. It runs on a single button cell and seems to run forever. I have had a CQ message in memory for 3 or 4 years.

KO4ESA likes this.
  4. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. But, if you're using a memory keyer, one could argue you're not using a straight key regardless of how you programmed it, so one could use a normal memory keyer for sending CQ and still use a straight key/bug for rest of the QSO. Either way, the CQ is electronically assisted keying.

KO4ESA likes this.
  5. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

And many of us who attend to all the many signs of computer-aided Morse Code simply spin the dial.

KO4ESA likes this.
  6. W6MK

W6MK Ham Member QRZ Page

"Many sending CQ" is a clear message not to reply to those "many sending CQ."

KI5WW, PU2OZT and KO4ESA like this.
  7. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool, but please don't ever use that for any SKCC activity ... not kosher.

PU2OZT, KO4ESA and W9RAC like this.
  8. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

What's computer aided Morse? Sending with a keyboard and/or decoding via computer (or rig) certainly is. But there's a range between that and a simple straight key. Personally, I'm happy to work any CW within my preferred speed range, except maybe a little less happy if they have a terrible fist.

KO4ESA likes this.
  9. W9RAC

I have had a few conversations where the Op. was sending with a keyboard. Very EZ to identify keyboard code its almost sterile sounding. The Ops. I QSO with were using a reader also, since I ask after I identified the keyboard code. I never did understand the purpose of it entirely but did not want to criticize since I did not know the entire story. I carried on with the QSO as normal and without incident. I have a keyboard I have played with a few times (MFJ 452) but it gets boring very quickly. 73 Rich

KO4ESA likes this.
  10. W9RAC

Just so you know they do have an exception for handicaps. 73 Rich

KO4ESA likes this.