ad: ProAudio-1

Straight Key Century Club WES This Weekend

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by W4HAY, Sep 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The SKCC Weekend Sprint is this weekend, 1200Z Saturday to 2359Z Sunday. DETAILS

For those, especially those new to CW, why not give it a try? It's easy (and free!) to sign up. CLICK HERE

These Sprints are very laid back and OPs will gladly slow down to a speed you're comfortable with. After all, most are using straight keys, so speed change is easy and instantanous.

If you don't have a straight key, there are (relatively) inexpensive ones available that are perfectly servicable. Switching from paddles to a SK is easy -- you already know what proper spacing sounds like, you just have to add some more muscle memory to your repertoire.
    As a bonus, you'll find your speed increasing rapidly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    KW9W, W1VKE, WB4BIN and 3 others like this.
  2. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

A.) Thanks for the reminder B.) I wholeheartedly agree.

3. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

SKCC OPs are the most patient hams on the airways.

When I first started my CW journey a few years ago they were totally indifferent to how many times I sent "AGN?" and I'm sure my code was barely recognizable at times!
    It's a really wonderful group.

#18901S

4. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's for sure. I do my best to meet up with new Ops and let them copy some code. Lots of fun and have never not had one thank me for taking the time to spend with them. 73 Rich, 16182 and site CW Elmer list.

5. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

New SKCC member here, and I wasn't comfortable with using a straight key at first. Managed to get it quickly enough (I usually use a paddle or more likely, a keyboard--so I know what it should sound like) -- BUT -- I swear, the handful contacts I've made in WES all I've done is trip over myself. Either I've developed a tic or I'm having a bad day.

But you wouldn't know, half of the contacts are congratulating on me being a new member! imagine that. Hope I become as gracious as time goes by.

6. KA8MNP

KA8MNP Ham Member QRZ Page

WES has been fun this month only have had a limited time to be on air lots of disrtractions but I too can't seem to get out of my own way. Bummer !
    73 KA8MNP - Randy

7. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I find the sprints to be a great time to work QRP or QRPp or test a new antenna....
    Lots of ops on the air and many will make more of an effort to work a weaker signal...
    Great time to try out QRP or less if you've never tried it before. Bands are in FB condx!
    Use your "big" rig so you can readjust output bk to QRO from 5 watts if ya chicken-out, hi... ;)

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    W5ESE likes this.
  8. OE3IAK

OE3IAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't bother. If you find you're tripping too often, slow down. Speeding up is again an option, once you're on track. This much I've learned from being taught the fiddle.

9. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I score almost as many points operating QRP as I do when running my usual 50 Watts.

Practice usually fixes that. Just turn off the VOX or QSK on your transceiver and use the sidetone as a code practice oscillator. Pick any random text and start sending. Do it the same way as learning CW, short sessions, 10 minutes a day or so.
    If it's "key fright", get past it the same way as with "mike fright". Just get on the air and push through it. It's CW, nobody is going to yell at you.

N8AFT likes this.
  10. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I do have to push through at times, I'll hear a CQ and just freeze, not sure why. Just have to keep at it, some nights are worse than others.