ad: MyersEng-1

Storm \"Barry\" Gives Florida Hams a Test

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Aug 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

Bill Sexton writes " Tropical Storm Barry, only briefly a hurricane, proved to be a fizzle from the weatherwatcher’s viewpoint. But for Army MARS members in Florida and the Caribbean, Barry offered just the opportunity this summer to test out their new emergency link. That is, real storm, but no catastrophe.

The “H” net—“hotel” in the phonetic alphabet—was officially fledged last May, just before the hurricane season. It was pretty much the creation of retired telephone worker Paul Donahue AG4EZ (military call AAT4ZS) of Palatka FL, who noticed Puerto Rican members trying to check into Florida’s Military Affiliate Radio System nets (Alpha, Bravo, etc.). He proposed establishing this special trans-Caribbean linkup.

With encouragement from state MARS officers, Donahue devoted much of spring and early summer to getting it tuned up. And when the storm warnings were hoisted for

Paul Donahue, AG4EZ, as net control during tropical storm Barry

Barry from Louisiana to northern Florida in the first week of August, the Hotel Net (“H” was the net designator next in line—and also stands for hurricane) was ready.

The amateur service, of course, is already thoroughly organized for emergency communications, especially during the hurricane season. What MARS brings to the table is access to a broad range of military frequencies, with more options for clear propagation and less vulnerability to overcrowding. Moreover, designated MARS members have direct contact with federal agencies involved in disaster relief through the government’s National Communications System.

By the time of Barry’s sudden demise after a long night ashore, 19 stations joined the Hotel Net—including Hector Pinero WP4JNL (ACM4HR) and Sebastien Hyden WP4MJE (ACM4KV) in Puerto Rico, Earl Craig NP2AP (ACM 3VI, the MARS director in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and a handful of others along the East Coast from Georgia to Massachusetts. Links were also established to MARS VHF clusters in Florida and Puerto Rico. And at the Ft Huachuca AZ gateway station AAA9USA, contract operator Martha Bochicchio KD7AIM (AAT9DS) kept her ear to the MARS national “911” frequency in case headquarters support was needed.

One of Florida participants in the Barry operation, Gerald Quick KF4VME (AAT4XV) was in Panama City close to the weather action. “Two shelters are open right now with 13 in one and 17 in the other,” he radioed at 9:22 p.m. on Aug. 5. “No damage

as of right now. The EOC is in contact with me through VHF also by phone. Also in contact with Sheriff’s Office [here], also Dale County AL.” Quick was still at his post when the EOC stood down at 8 a.m.

What’s unusual about net control Donohue is that he only joined Army MARS in January 2001, not long after earning his first ham license. (Before retiring to Florida, he explained, “Whenever I was ready to take the test I was sent out of town.”)

“My goal would be to bring the entire Gulf into the net with stations up the East Coast and with as many VHF clusters as possible reporting into a HF station to relay,” he said. As for his unusual role in seeing a new net into the world: “I can’t take credit when I did what was the right thing to do.”

Barry came and went with much rain and not much damage. Unhappily, a lightning strike took out AG4EZ’s modem, the only known in-house casualty to the Hotel Net.
    Bill Sexton N1IN (AAA9PC)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.