ad: SMHam-1

Stop the Speeding Bus, QRS Please. Anything wrong with slow morse?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by G7UQN, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G7UQN

G7UQN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,
    I have recently got back into Ham Radio and in particular CW. I am improving with practice and am ok at 12 to 15wpm on a good day.

I am happy with the speed I am at and have had many QSO's at these speeds. I have no burning desire to get faster and am happy for my skill to naturally improve with time. However I do feel an underlying pressure to get faster as most operators on the air are going faster than 15wpm. For those new to CW it must be like chasing after a speeding bus and trying to hop on! I don't think this does much to encourage new operators to try CW.

I think we should encourage more operators to have a go at whatever speed they are comfortable at. Clubs such as CW Fists www.fists.co.uk www.fistsna.org and Second Class Operators Club www.qsl.net/soc promote having a go at slower speeds/skill levels and they have a good following. This shows there are some Hams with the same view.
    What are your thoughts ?
    Thanks for reading, 73, Glyn, G7UQN.

"Keep CW Alive"

K0UO and N4MTB like this.
  2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesters using computers to send Morse are after Points POINTS in the contests.
    Speed means contest points.

I am not a contester, myself.

I am a ragchewer and will match the speed of whoever I QSO. QRQ or QRS . no diff to me,

If you want a no sweat moderate speed QSO, maybe get out the straight key and slide the paddle to the side and join the Straight Key Century Club.
    Want to hear what we operate like >? Listen around 1813.5, 3550, 5332, 7055, 7114, 7120, 10120, 14050 and that's where we gather for a QSO/.
    some of us use BUGS too. But not beyond control like you hear sometimes :D

D

N5WVR, G0NMY, G7UQN and 3 others like this.
  3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Most ops will slow down if you answer a faster CQ.

Some won’t.

So just say

SRI OM TOO QRQ 73 ES TU

if they don’t QRS for you then find another op.

There’s no reason to demand that all ops slow down to your speed all the time !

G7UQN, KA0HCP, M0LEP and 1 other person like this.
  4. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can remember when I was really young being content with 10 wpm. Sounds like you are doing fine to me. Those who speed along have usually been doing code for a while. After you have been around a bit, it would be natural to want to increase the speed and it will probably happen. Those that can speed, usually do. For the really fast, slowing down really slow can be a little like listening to a 78 rpm record at 33, so be patient with them. Whatever speed you do, enjoy the ride. Best of luck.

G7UQN likes this.
  5. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Join SKCC and have QSOs at any speed you enjoy! 73!

G7UQN likes this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Just get on at your speed and have FUN

G7UQN and WB5YUZ like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just please don't call CQ at 15 WPM but then ask for QRS 5

That's just frustrating .

NOT saying you did that - but I've heard it many many times over 40+ years.... someone calls CQ faster than they can receive, a station comes back, and then they ask for QRS to some REALLY slow speed.

Call CQ only at the "top speed" you can easily copy

Just like on the upper end of speed, "Contest Only" at the top speed you can copy and send the exchange"... if you can't copy the exchange at the 28 WPM being sent, do NOT reply or ask QRS in a such a contest. Just not good form.

Dave
    W7UUU

W7TCT, N5WVR, M6GYU and 6 others like this.
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

However, speed-demon contesters have no problem making an exchange with you at 15 wpm, and them at 35. Points are points, as long as you can handle the exchange, which is easy... They're all exactly the same.

W7UUU, G7UQN and NE1U like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't have a problem with 35 WPM for a contest. For day to day contacts find it more relaxing at around 18-20 WPM. If I call CQ at that speed I expect, as a matter of courtesy, the responding station will also be around that same speed. I find the best way to handle the speed daemons is to ignore them and keep calling CQ.

G7UQN and W5BIB like this.
  10. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

...but only up to a point. If they're going just a bit to fast and you have to ask for repeats then it actually slows things down. Better a bit slower and get everything across first time...

I find there isn't a clear-cut "best speed" for me. It's more a sliding scale; Below 10wpm I can usually keep up fine (unless the other OP's fist is difficult). Up to about 13wpm I'm mostly OK so long as overs are short, but if I stumble then I'll lose enough to need a repeat. Up to 16 or 17 the overs had better be short, with important stuff repeated. Simple DX-style or SOTA-style exchanges may be OK above that, but anything extraneous will need repeating.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    G7UQN likes this.