ad: M2Ant-1

Stone Mountain Amateur Radio Awareness Day W4BOC

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KK4KHS, Sep 17, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KK4KHS

KK4KHS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W4BOC, Celebrating the first 43 years of Alford Memorial Radio Club http://totr-radio.org/,
    Stone Mountain Amateur Radio Awareness Day and Preparedness Month, we will be taking armature radio to the street, downtown, featuring Emergency Power

https://www.facebook.com/events/130650583952747/

Amateur Radio Awareness Day activities typically focus on increasing public awareness. According to DHS, National Preparedness Month is aimed at encouraging Americans to prepare for emergencies and to raise public awareness about the importance of being prepared.

This Stone Mountain Amateur Radio Awareness Day, September 19, the Alford Memorial Radio Club, will sponsor a 5-hour Emergency Power Operating Event for stations operating off the grid. "It is not a contest," "It is simply a demonstration of what we amateurs can do without having to rely on the, internet or commercial mains, and what we will do whenever the need arises."

There is no set exchange; contacts may be casual, but operators are encouraged to share information on their emergency power sources in addition to the traditional signal report, name and location. GOTA station maybe up and running so encouraging comments for newbies is always helpful.

W4BOC is a special event in Stone Mountain, Ga. Event from 1pm to 5pm. A special QSL card is available from KK4KHS. Send a SADE to Mike Smith KK4KHS 5191 La Paloma Dr. SW. 30047

2. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to zip down and check out this 'Armature radio' ;)

Don't the slip rings cause noise? :eek:

Seriously though...have fun. I may try to endfed up in the yard and hook up the battery-fed 857D, though we may be too close. You going to be working contacts on the 2m W4BOC?

3. KK4KHS

Hey Bruce, yea, spelling wasn't my strong point. We're gonna do an end fed too, and a G5RV jr. Maybe a hf mobile antenna, give us a try. There is also a classic car show here at the same time. We'll be doing GOTA so be easy...:cool:
    Mike

4. N4STG

N4STG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll see your GOTA and put my YL on the radio.

Are you going to be working folks on the 2m W4BOC repeater? I can hit that from Dawsonville.

5. KK4KHS

Yep, almost always there. Especially for the Turnip truck net, Saturday night at 11.