stolen ID KF5NWR Thomas Hughes

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N2ADV, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2UNL

N2UNL Ham Member QRZ Page

I JUST HAD A REPLY WITH THE SAME CALL AND OFFERED A TS-870 FROM MY WANTED POST. tHIS IS THE SECOND SCAM IN 1 WEK FOR ME. Whar are we going to do ? This realy don't help out a dying hobby as it is.

2. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

If I did that, I think I would want to rewrite it a bit first. The message above was written in 5 minutes on a Saturday morning. If I were to speak to a wider audience in QST from a legal perspective, it would have to be a polished piece. I'll think about doing just that though. Thanks for the feedback!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Ditto. That was a very good post.

I always ask, "Please send me a photo of the radio with today's newspaper sitting next to it" (or something similar). No photo, I walk away.

4. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

Amateur radio is not a "dying hobby". There are many facets on the cutting edge of technology. I myself am in the process of building a 3-meter radio telescope and investigating methods for interplanetary communications with spacecraft and satellites and I know the advances in digital communications are quite amazing.

That being said, something does need to be done about scammers. Vigilance is a good start...

5. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Anotaher scammer stolen ID KF5NWR

Placed, a want advert for a Kenwoood in the Wanted listing. Well, today A person naming himself as Bob A Perry said he had a unit. The grAmmar was wrong insaying that "I should reply soonest". He also left no telephone number, no city, and no address on the email. I deleted it without opening it. Having preview in my email may have saved me fr im downloadiong a virus or something
    Watch out guys for this individual, as me might try to get to you also.

6. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. I got hit by that Person. The email I have here is kf5nwr@yahoo.com. What a piece of ****!!!

7. KJ6WQF

KJ6WQF Ham Member QRZ Page

His assumed name is "Thomas Hughes". He got me with the Bob Perry Scam. I should have known better. Thomas Hughes is the name that he uses to pick up the Western Union money transfers with. He got me for $100. Pretty Stupid on my part. Anyways, I contacted the PawPaw Police department and gave them all of the info. Won't be long till they bust this scammer! And good riddens.

8. K3FO

K3FO Ham Member QRZ Page

He works with thomas hughes...... they steal money through western union....... I bought an amp worth $2200..... Paid in full and got nothing out of the deal......

9. W9CLA

W9CLA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was also burned when I posted an ad on QTH.COM looking for a Kenwood R5000 Receiver. I thought that the language of the person who responded was a bit strange and the fact that he did not have a PayPal address and wanted the money sent to an address that did not match that for KF5NWR was suspicious. I sent the money to the QRZ address. He was not a happy camper when I told him what I had done which clued me into the fact that I was scammed. I have lots of resources... and "I don't get mad... but I do get even"

Any other instances of this person scaming others would be much appreciated.

Craig W9CLA

10. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Bob asked me to post this:[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Someone is using my call sign to try and scam other Ham Operators. Do not buy anything that has my call sign attached to it without checking with me first.[/FONT]

Bob Perry KF5NWR

404 Texas Ave.
    Wichita Falls, Tx 76301

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.