ad: ProAudio-1

stolen ID KF5NWR Thomas Hughes

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N2ADV, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted a wanted thread on eHam and got a poorly worded e-mail back, Western Union, etc etc. If anyone knows Bob, KF5NWR, can someone please let him know?

Thanks.

2. N2EIK

N2EIK Ham Member QRZ Page

I got hit on by the same scammer. I did a little data mining and talked to the REAL KF5NWR. I feel that one reason Bob's call is being abused is that he does not list an email address on his QRZ page. Well anyway I am glad I spoke to Bob and sure enough my scammer called me as I asked him to. The phone number came up as Lubbock Texas exchange (relayed some how?) which could make it even harder for someone to tell. He asked me for a direct wire transfer for payment, LOL, a dead giveaway too.

3. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could have been a burner cell - easy enough to get one with a programmed number. I figure anyone without an email address on their QRZ page is suspect when replying to a want-ad. I asked the guy who responded to me for a phone number to call (since numbers can be faked) and haven't heard from him since. Big shocker there!

4. 2E0ILY

2E0ILY Guest

Someone claiming to be "Bob E Perry" KF5NWR is currently trying to have me believe he has a Bird element that I put a wanted ad up for on here. Whoever it is faking this should have paid more attention in class, being able to string readable sentences together is always a big plus for e-mail scammers ;) 2 out of 10, must try (much) harder.

5. KC5MVV

KC5MVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you still have the Lubbock phone number. I could look it up and see if I could find some info for ya. I live here in Lubbock and maybe could help..

73s
    David kc5mvv

6. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

KF5NWR SCAM on QRZ.com and QTH.com

ALERT! ALERT!

Everyone,

I placed ads on QTH.com and QRZ.com last evening looking to buy a specific used HF radio model.

This morning I got several e-mails from someone using kf5nwr@yahoo.com claiming to have the exact radio in the exact condition I requested ready to sell.

I was excited, but suspicious, since you rarely find exactly what you're looking for on the used market these days.

Plus, his grammar was just a bit off. These messages are sounding better and better, but subtle clues give it away, like "in an excellent condition" or "Looking to read back from you soonest".

Try as they might, you can always tell a non-native speaker. Even Americans with only a high school education won't make these sorts of basic errors, so watch out for them. Even so, keep your eyes out for Americans pulling these scams as well.

I did some fishing and got the guy to respond. I asked him several questions I knew he would get wrong if he wasn't genuine, and sure enough, he failed the test.

So, I looked Bob Perry up and gave him a call, and sure enough, it's a scam.

In fact, KF5NWR is actually an attorney in Texas who has no equipment for sale.

I filed a fraud complaint with Yahoo.com and forwarded everything to Bob to protect his identity.

I too am an attorney. In fact, I am licensed in 5 separate jurisdictions, and I will tell you all that identity theft like this is on the rise everywhere.

I am sad to see it encroaching on our hobby, but considering how much of our hobby is online these days, we should all be extra careful to protect ourselves and ensure people are on the up and up.

If you run into scammers like this, it is best not to confront them, because they will then often use your information in the next scam in retribution. You should report the scam to the licensee so they can protect themselves, and also to the online authorities. If it is serious enough, you may even consider filing a report with the local or state police, or even the state secretary of state if they have a fraud prevention or online consumer protection division.

Good luck, and trade smart!

- Jake, KK6L

7. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an attorney myself, and I spoke with Bob myself this morning and told him about what's going on.

Bob is actually an attorney as well, so I forwarded the messages I received to him so he can protect his identity.

He told he has no equipment for sale and that he will look into this.

He said to tell everyone he appreciate's the vigilance and is sorry to hear someone is scamming people.

- Jake, KK6L

8. KK6L

KK6L Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an attorney in several states, and I too received an e-mail from this scammer.

I only mention that because Bob Perry is also an attorney. I spoke with him this morning, and he said he has gotten several calls about this.

I forwarded the message and information I received from the scammer so he can protect himself. I appreciates the vigilance and is sorry someone is using his identity to scam people.

Hopefully no one will fall victim to this and the person will be held accountable.

- Jake, KK6L

9. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Jake,

Thanks for an excellent post, and the good advice.

Why not send the post as an Op-ed piece to QST, so it can get even a wider audience?

Bill

10. KE7EYX

KE7EYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Posted a want want ad yesterday looking for a radio and got an email this morning from the same sender saying had one in excellent condition.
    Funny thing is I too don't have email listed on my profile. Only give it out in PMs to party dealing with. 2 outa 10 for the effort :D ya poor smuck of a scammer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.