ad: ProAudio-1

Stolen Ham Gear

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N3PCT, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N3PCT

N3PCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Regarding the theft of my truck and emergency response equipment, I hesitated to post this because I wanted to confirm which radios were stolen before posting the information.

The LA Co. Sheriff has released my truck from impound so at least I have my truck back. Here is the list of radios that were in the truck, for whatever good it will do telling all of you. Just in case you find someone trying to sell any of this.

Mobile radios which were “Permanently” installed in my truck:
    Alinco DR-235 TG SN-T101397 1.25 Meter (220 Band)
    Yaesu FT-8100 R SN-9C130256 2 M/70 Cm
    Cobra 29 WXNWST 512248698 11M (Citizens Band Radio)
    Sanyo FXCD-550 AM/FM/CD/Cassette Receiver It seems I failed to record the Serial number.  

Handheld Radio, which was in a green canvas pouch with the accessories:
    Yaesu VX-5 R SN-9K170975 6M/2M/70Cm Tri Band Handheld

Advice to all of you this is, DO NOT TRUST YOUR ALARM SYSTEM, they got past mine and it seems the proficient pukes can get past most of them. My truck was parked in the street in front of the house, been doing that for almost 10 years. The radios are insured through MARSH, but the 13-year-old truck only had liability insurance coverage check you insurance and evaluate it carefully. (Test Question)

I get nauseous looking at my truck, I thank God they didn’t damage the body beyond scorching the paint at the front gas tank so exterior body damage is minor. The body and camper shell need a coat of paint anyway.

Inside the cab and the bed of the truck is another story. Someone pissed in the now empty glove compartment and the passenger door map cove, probably on the seats and floor as well, rape and pillage comes to mind. Radios, hand tools 3 SureFire flashlights, a 6 and a 4 D Maglite, Amber 2 Strobe Allied Signal Mag-moutn Light bar, Go Bags, fire extinguishers, the list goes on. Seeing what is left behind just doesn’t look like much. My identification badges, as well as some personal information are gone.

There is hope however because the Bible that I kept in the truck was taken too.

I am giving this ‘Volunteer Spirit’ an earnest evaluation. Literally thousands of dollars taken by some puke or pukes that will probably never be caught and the only one hurt by all this is the victim. Admittedly I feel sorry for myself, I shouldn’t have to explain that, but there were just a couple of people in ‘Law Enforcement’ that I dealt with who had compassion, they weren’t just doing their job. I will be personally thanking them.

Watch your stuff!

7 3 & 7 5,
    Cas, KF6CUE, K-214, NNNØFUE, WRRL-12

2. KE5BCW

KE5BCW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the loss of your equipment.Like you said maybe they will read your bible.73

3. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

I am thinking an animal in the glove box.
    Cats like little containers like that but tend to use the litter box.
    And, alarm systems are now a cat and mouse game.
    What was state of the art just a few years ago is now just a minor speedbump.
    The better ones come with a theft warranty.
    Perhaps yours did?
    Perhaps a TV camera pointed at the truck?
    Will not stop anyone but at least you have a record.

4. KI6JUX

KI6JUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about your loss, dude.

I will be keeping an eye on 'used' equipment that I may run across, never know, it could show up in a yard sale.

I am looking for used equipment, can't afford the new stuff, so I will watch what shows up around me!

Good luck, it's crap like this that makes me leery of investing a lot of money in this hobby.

I have an alarm and a Club, so they won't get very far with my car!!!

Damn shame!

Later, and all the best.

[​IMG]
    pcwiz...

5. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Locking Gas Cap for starters good investment.

Next Comment: if you installed a Car Alarm System thats one thing if your ride was impounded by the police they generally inventory whats in the car or truck, before towing.

You can however file on your taxes a Form called Casulty Losses  document everything from police report to reciepts on old radios ( yard sales and ham flea markets generally no reciept unless purchased new )

consider buying ham radio ins. also read your theft policy some may sell a rider or add on.

I had tools, radios, stolen, licenses destroyed ( filed complaint to FCC ) lost bad deal from a divorce, ( I'll leave rest out too long story )

some I could not even come close to writing all of this off but Itemizing if you qualify.

Also a Sign in vechicle Warning people of Pet Tranchula may scare them off.  also do something crazy like hey have you seen ( create a name ) look under the vechicle also If you happen on a Halloween Shop buy a fake one and place it under the seat.

Be creative.

6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where was your truck stolen? My dad and uncles all chained their cars to the house when they parked it for the night.

7. KB3AFZ

KB3AFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Well, I see someone has vandalized one of our hobby's finest, and took what you have worked so hard for. Well,looks to me like you have done quite well in keeping serial numbers on your equipment, and rest assured they should surface soon. Even if they are "fenced" a couple of times, they can still be tracked back to where they came from by fingerprints and someone being scared when the police is questioning them about HOT goods. Perhaps these thieves are non amateur and will be caught by pirating with the equipment. (check your area for good FOX hunters and any malicious interference).

A good way to catch a car thief that I have personally witnessed, and I must say will deter them from your property quite quickly, and you may end up with them on their back wondering what happened.

The automobile sits on Rubber Tires, right? 110VAC only shocks you if you touch ground to Power. LMAO you following me. Hook a wire from a long healthy extension cord to your cars body, and the ground side to a small ground stake. No tripping of fuses or circuit breakers here as the connection is not made until something or someone standing on mother earth grabs the vehicle. "ZAP"!!!!!! 110 VAC let's them know that they cannot continue on with the act. Trust me when I say it works. A gas thief years ago kept finding ways over a 6 month period of sucking my fathers gasoline out and making it quite hard for him to get to work. Raising 6 kids wasn't easy for my dad, and he only had so much money to work with. Well needless to say, the culprit yelped and screamed so loud one night at 2:30 am that it woke half the house up, and two older brothers gave this thief a butt whoopin he'll probably never forget. and All it cost my dad was a little bit of Black Tape to re-attach the clipped end of the extension cord.

I will keep my ears out on the bands for any information that might be useful, as I am am an OTR Truck Driver, and I will also lookout for serial numbers on used equipment for sale on the web. Don't be to hard on yourself my friend. You have been true to the big man above, and he will award you. Maybe the other fellow was right in saying the culprits may read that bible.

73's and God Bless
    KB3AFZ
    www.forestcountyarc.com

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Answer,Shoot first ask questions later [​IMG]

K6GLG

9. KB7DTI

KB7DTI Ham Member QRZ Page

Like I always say.."Celebrate diversity- Kill them all".:angry:

10. K4AVL

K4AVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I would even try one of those "cow pasture" shock units that run on 12v and hook that up to the battery and car body.

11. KU0DM

KU0DM Guest

Maybe those thiefs will strike again but take a self-contained APRS tracker...

Sorry for your loss

12. kc9kow

kc9kow Banned QRZ Page

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. That they took your id's says they will likelytry to impersonate you or do something likely to be very stupid!

I highly think they are smart enough to figure out how to use the radios, as they likely are trash who can't even say their own names.

It's great that you had your radios insured...that should hopefully give you some protection against your loss.

What I feel for you about is the feeling of being violated. I know it all too well.

I will keep both my eyes and ears open to any stray and unexplained equipment and any interference by goofs on the air in the case that it turns up on the air here...as unlikely as it is, it's some sort of help anyway.

13. N3GHX

N3GHX Ham Member QRZ Page

DO NOT TRY THE 120VAC IDEA because if they touch it just right you could be tried and convicted of murder. Shocking them may be an answer, but try something that doesn't have that lethal potential. The ccd camera is an excellent idea because they may be smart enough to use gloves.

14. KB3AFZ

KB3AFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

shocking them with 110vac won't kill em,it'll just make em wish they hadn't touched what doesn't belong to them.

15. W9FNB

W9FNB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for the loss. I understand the feeling, it happened to me years ago.
    THE 110VAC idea is bad news...!!! More people are killed every year by the voltage range of 100-120vac than All the other ranges totaled together. A mere 40mA is enough to kill under the right condition and litigation has resulted from those that have boobie-traped their property in this manner and guess who won! Not the property owners...the criminals!!!
    Sorry again GL
    All the Best
    W9FNB/Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.