Stocking Stuffer / Cheap Gift Ideas For Hams?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2PPK, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Under $50 for sure... which rules out most radios, many radio specific accessories, etc. Looking for more standalone type gifts that don't have to perfectly match something in order to work.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 1:44 AM
  3. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

The v.3 RTL-SDR is pretty amazing in dongle form I purchased one on impulse for around $24 doesn't require a up-converter. Acceptable reception on HF does a fine job for casual MW DX'ing connected to a outdoor random wire. Enough third-party software to keep someone busy for months for utility and digital transmissions. Also a pretty good FM broadcast tuner for your PC.

4. KC8VWM

I actually ordered one myself. :)

Any recommendations for software to use with it?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 2:03 AM
  5. W0XX

W0XX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, it was the Human Fund....leaky memory...

N2PPK likes this.
  6. K8PG

K8PG Subscriber QRZ Page

A pencil.

N2PPK likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

HDSDR

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

At least a pad of paper to go with it? Or even a pencil sharpener?

I surprised myself with a real electric sharpener when the battery operated unit from "Wally World" broke after 1 year, or 7 pencils, which ever came first.... (It might have been only 6 pencils, though.)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 11:40 PM
  9. N4FLF

N4FLF Ham Member QRZ Page

HDSDR based on the former Winrad attractive UI and easy to use. You'll need a copy of Virtual Audio Cable to connect to third-party utilities and decoders. It's a bit of a learning curve configuring everything to work should be accomplished in one-evening. I have it installed on a older Windows PC Vista Pro haven't seen the necessity to upgrade since all I use the computer for is email and various forums. Everything runs smoothly tried SDRSharp it also works on older computer systems SDRUno was problematic.

The v.3 RTL-SDR is prone to overload at my location a smaller 30'-40' random wire works better than my G5RV Jr. or monoband 80 m dipole. Only thing I added to the antenna was a home-brew choke to attenuate some nearby EMI before it flows across the coax braid; using ultra-cheap RG8X I had laying around

It's exceptional for MW DX'ing and acceptable for HF. Higher frequencies work fine but I don't use if for that purpose much. Makes a handy FM Radio tuner, weather radio and occasionally marine channel 16 since I live near the ocean. I haven't used it much for monitoring amateur radio above 30 mhz except in the few instances 6 m was open.

Hope you purchased a SMA male to UHF SO-239 cable or have one laying around it really eases the process.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:53 AM
    KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

Thanks Craig. :)

I plan on using it with a Panasonic Toughbook so it's good to know it will work on older PC's. I have some smallish QRP portable antenna's around that might work to prevent overload. I plan on using it mostly for casual HF and shortwave listening. Thinking about using it for downloading satellite weather maps from NOAA and stuff like that.

73 and happy holidays.

Charles - KC8VWM