Stocking Stuffer / Cheap Gift Ideas For Hams?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2PPK, Dec 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2PPK

N2PPK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's that time of year again, and the family wants to know what I want for Christmas, and I'm sure they're asking you too. That being said, I'm stocked up on socks and underwear, so I'm out of the easy gift ideas.

Many of the things I REALLY want, ham related, are expensive and I wouldn't consider asking anyone to buy me one. Instead, I'll throw the $20 in a box every week until I have enough.

But for the other little things... I'm stumped.

As a ham, what inexpensive things would you like to see in your stocking this year?

Like tools that you never think of until you need them? Books?

2. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Your page doesn't really indicate what modes you operate. If you are into CW (or plan to be), Milestone Technologies makes a series of "Christmas Keys". They release one each year, and I imaging that non-CW ops probably collect them too. I might buy myself a Christmas gift this year:

http://www.mtechnologies.com/xmas/

Other than that, shack accessories are nice. I've received ham-related mouse pads, "On The Air" signs, coffee mugs with my call sign, etc. You get the idea.

AC8UN and N7ZAL like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

New temp controlled soldering iron. Or, since everything is now SMD, perhaps a hot air gun.

Commercially made jumpers (BNC to BNC, etc)

Adapters - like BNC to UHF connectors.

Even a roll of solder is nothing to sneeze at these days.

K9ASE, N2PPK, KK5JY and 1 other person like this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^This!

Titles would depend on your particular interests.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/What-s-New/

N2SUB and KK5JY like this.
  5. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Does she have to fit in a stocking?

That greatly limits my choice

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WA7PRC and K9ASE like this.
  6. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Years ago when I was a kid, before digital, my Grandmother gave me a little postage scale for weighing envelopes for shipment. It was really used a lot for QSL cards and other items, although not sure about use today? She also would give me a roll of stamps every Christmas for QSL card expenses.

Yeah, not much money back then and not sure if it means the same today.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Postal scales are now inexpensive. Fry's had a digital scale (with promo code) for about $6.00. When I got it home, I found it had a capacity of only 6 oz. Not usable in the kitchen, but it would have cost more $ in gas to return it. It's still good for weighing letters, though.:(

8. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like barrel connectors, short coax jumpers, solder, electrical connectors, snap on torroids, wire, shrink tubing, and small tools as gifts for ham friends. The kind of things that when you need them they're there.
    A real handy item is a label maker, mine gets used all the time.

N2PPK, K4PIH, DK7OB and 3 others like this.
  9. N7ZAL

N7ZAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He did say "inexpensive." :)

10. KK6NOH

KK6NOH Ham Member QRZ Page

reference books are always good.

Spools of wire, coax seal, so239 and sma connectors or whatever you use, new log book, ham radio nick nacks like pens or coffee mugs, amateur radio clock, amateur radio ballcap, stack of solar cells (cheap on ebay), soldering iron tips, ferrite chokes.

I could go on but as you can see there are plenty of things.

N2PPK likes this.