ad: elecraft

"Still under warranty !" Think so?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KU3X, Sep 17, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Selling and still under warranty ! Really? Is the warranty transferable? Show it in writing if it is. So many adds tell you that their equipment is under warranty. “Is it a total lie?” No! As long as THEY keep the radio it’s under warranty. Once you buy it, the equipment is no longer under warranty. The warranty is processed with the original sales receipt. That receipt does not have your name on it. So beware ! You are not getting any warranty unless it is in writing that it is transferable.

But here’s the best one. “I did not fill out the warranty card yet.” Big deal ! What does that mean? I think I still have my warranty slip from my Kenwood TS820 laying around. Do you think if I fill out that card and send it in the TS820 is going to be covered? That warranty slip means nothing !
    “Warranties are based on date of purchase and you have to product the original sales slip with YOUR name on it. "

So don’t get sucked in when you purchase a used radio from a for sale add.”

Barry

W4RAV likes this.
  2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

All that you need is POP.

4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

You can transfer the warranty on an Alpha amp, "For a fee" but it is transferable.

I am sure there may be other's. But the norm is, "Non transferable !"
    Barry

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My sales receipts never have my name on them.

They show the last four digits of my credit card number, a date, and the transaction details.

6. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I buy from all the big ones. My name and all information is on them.
    I can even send one example right here.

I believe you, maybe you buy from different stores than I do, or request information be held.

Regardless, I don't care if my names on there or not.
    We all have been breached anyway!

7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm not seeing the problem here. Warranties for ham gear are governed by the same laws (in the US, anyway) as any other consumer product, and the terms aren't any better or worse than the average TV, lawnmower, or kitchen appliance. Even a "transferable" vehicle warranty is worthless if you can't get them to fix the car when it breaks.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

No need to cry.

Read the small print next time.

If I want new, I buy new for 5 dollars more.

9. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty sure that in the United States, manufacturers warranties are associated with a physical item, not the owner. In other words, they are transferable by default.

Extended and third party warranties may be different.

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Am in Korea.

Last radio I bought that needed warranty work was an Elecraft. They knew I bought it from them, and turned it around in a few weeks.

Icom Korea refuses to even honor Icom warranties from new radios purchased in Japan or the USA. They want to rape you on radios costing 50 to 100% more than elsewhere... and Icom allows this. Want warranty service? Pay $500-$1,000 above elsewhere, on a radio costing $1,300. And they refuses to provide non-Icom engineers with parts to fix their radios.

Puts Icom into perspective, in terms of quality of warranty service, and how they truly care for the customer.

After this 7300 is gone, I am done with Icom. Just not worth the cost and risk, here.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017