ad: Alphaant-1

Stiffening Fibreglass Antenna poles???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0PUD, Aug 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps get two of them and assemble one inside the other. You'd have to remove the top element or two from the inside pole in order to fit it in the outer one. I've never tried this myself.

2. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8m - I don't see how you could do it without guying. I am working on an test right now. Kind of a long explanation but I have a fiberglass section that is potentially weakened by multiple holes drilled. I am going to try filling it with an epoxy resin. The goal is more to bring it back to the undrilled strength rather than stiffen it. If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks for the results I can let you know how this appears to work.

/Edit/ PS - I also tried a wood center. This did help but wasn't feasible in my case. You local hardware store should have hardwood dowels in different diameters that should work. Not cheap, though.

K4AGO likes this.
  3. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why bother with having to carry the pole around anyway if you have trees handy? Just use insulated wire for the entire antenna and throw one end up and over any convenient tree limb. When finished, just retrieve your wire from it's leafy perch. Simple , cheap and eco-friendly. 73, Bunky, K4EJQ

4. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

A fiberglass flagpole, strong and no guys.

5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Purchase a pole considerably longer than needed. Extend the lower heavier sections to approx 90% of their max length, the middle sections at +/- 80% and the upper thinner sections at +/- 75%. It is imperative that you do not fully extend the mid thru upper sections. You'll still have some flex (which is needed) but it won't flop around and it will last a lot longer. Now, leave me. I need to rest.

KA0HCP likes this.
  6. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried filling a three-foot-long piece of 5/8" I.D. clear vinyl tubing with expanding foam. (My plan was to make a long piece of foam I could slice into popper bodies for tying bass flies for fishing.) The foam never expanded or hardened inside the tubing; it just made a mess. Maybe the results would be different in a larger fiberglass pole...

7. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Did the ends that were exposed to the air expand and harden?

I understand that it needs air, and the humidity in that air to do it’s magic.

Gorilla glue is similar chemistry and the directions tell you to dampen the objects you wish to join.

You might just be lucky that it didn’t expand! What a mess it would have been if the tubing exploded!

8. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

For sure... that expanding polyurethane goo is some awful stuff to clean up if you get it on you. I don't think the current stuff expands with enough force to do too much damage but it the expansion force is something to consider. You can buy a type that is low expansion so it won't cause distortion.

9. N8TGQ

N8TGQ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you're doing this for a permanent installation, think about using one of the military masts. Ive had them up 8m no problem.
    Last one I bought cost about a dollar a foot used.

10. G0PUD

G0PUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Brilliant