Stiffening Fibreglass Antenna poles???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by G0PUD, Aug 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. G0PUD

G0PUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi.. I'm considering an 8metre roach pole as part of a Efhw antenna. The vertical element will be the 8m but then it needs to support a 12m sloping wire down to ground. It flaps about in the wind and although it could be guyed, has anyone got a suggestion as to how to stiffen it so it doesn't whip about so much? Someone suggested filling it with expanding foam??

2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how you would go about doing that without making a huge mess, and what’s to stop the foam from exploding the pole?

What about putting two poles together with many rolls of electrical tape or heat shrink tubing?

3. G0PUD

G0PUD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did think the foam idea could put pressure on the pole! Also I would want to put the antenna wire down inside the pole so it would be 'lost' and glued inside for ever... Heatshrink is a good idea but I'd need some at least 2" wide for the lower sections.
    How about wooden dowels and epoxy?
    Or filling the inside of the tube with liquid fibreglass resin?.... Basically maybe I need an alternative antenna support? That's not metal... Cheers for your answer

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you find any bamboo? It will flex some too, some flex is good.
    I don't see how the foam can deploy without making a plug and back spraying out the hole, unless you had a really long fill tube you could pull out the tube as you spray.

K4AGO likes this.
  5. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah yes, the retromingent roach pole!

Can you picture that happening?

Get a face full of that crap and you’re in some big trouble. Good Gawd, imagine inhaling a snoot full. Bet it could easily be lethal.

6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to look up a roach pole to be sure, but I'm assuming it is a fiberglass pole with a hollow center from what I've read so far.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Retromingent I had look up...... ewww! ;)

WR2E likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The old method involved dropping broomstick(s) inside if your diameter is sufficient.

WZ7U likes this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

^^ What Bill said.

Though, im not sure its really required. I have used the same 10m squid pole for over 200 portable sessions, you want that flex so that it does not self collapse, and in high wind situations I just wrapped each section joint with electrical tape for added security.

W7EDC and WZ7U like this.
  10. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

W2JKT likes this.