Stick with dual band or try HF mobile?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KI5OTM, May 11, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KI5OTM

KI5OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings,I’m a fairly new general class and looking for an HF mobile rig.... however, I have heard conflicting stories and caveats about operating while driving and how if the antenna doesn’t stay perfectly straight in the air while you’re driving, it’s not safe to operate for the radios sake. Honestly,I don’t want to set up a base station just yet, not until I moved to a more rural area but I’m just wondering if I should just stick to two band mobile just to be on the safe side, any thoughts?

2. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Who on earth told you that??
    :confused:
    Total nonsense!
    ;)

AG5DB, W5ESE and WE4E like this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

^Agreed, that statement is pure myth.

There are hazards when operating mobile, but the biggest one is "distracted driving," if using the radio distracts you while in motion. Pulling over to operate is obviously safer, but lots of people operate radios while driving and they're still alive.:)

4. AD0RX

AD0RX Ham Member QRZ Page

I enjoy HF mobile. Easy to find a nice spot in a park and have some POTA fun.

I have good luck with 20m hamstick antenna. Simple. Works while I drive too!

5. G8FXC

G8FXC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think that is the big difference, isn't it? Most of the "HF Mobile" operation I've heard has really been "HF Portable" from a parked car. The combination of the size of the antenna required and the concentration on the radio required for non-channelised SSB operation rather rules out HF operation on the move for many people. VHF/UHF channelised operation through FM and DMR repeaters is far more practical.

Martin (G8FXC)

6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an IC-7000 , High Sierra 1800 (Screwdriver w/ 6' SS whip) & a Metron MA-1000 amp while driving with no issues at all. I have added SWR protection to the Metron & a remote SWR meter that I can view & there are only minor deflections in all modes of driving.
    No worries.

Ed

Edit: I also have a Larsen dual band antenna & work repeaters sometimes, but mostly HF & 6 meters mobile.

AD0RX likes this.
  7. KD9LFW

KD9LFW Ham Member QRZ Page

Living in an apartment (ground floor nonetheless) I often operate mobile and portable. I made up an antenna for 20M with a Buddipole coil and a 38" steel whip mounted on the roof with an NMO mount. I honestly didn't think it would work, but it works well and doesn't create much aerodynamic resistance. I've had contacts from New York to Texas. I haven't been able to get the SWR below 10:1, but if I bother to ground the body panels that would likely help. I run an IC-7300 and the internal tuner handles the SWR when in "Emergency Mode". You wouldn't necessarily have to invest in a Buddipole coil. There are other coils out there and making one yourself is not very difficult. I am very concerned about distracted driving and so mostly only listen using the Spectrum Scope and up/down buttons on the microphone help a lot with that.

8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a 2/440 rig in my truck but activity is not great in terms of finding people to talk with. So I also have an HF rig in the truck and on longer trips I use it and leave the dual bander on 146.520 just in case

AG5DB likes this.