ad: elecraft

Steven Delao, NK2V SK April 26, 2020 (age 58)

Discussion in 'Silent Keys / Friends Remembered' started by K2HAT, May 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Steven Delao, NK2V SK

Steven Delao
    January 24, 1962 ~ April 26, 2020 (age 58)

Steven Delao, 58, of Las Vegas, NV, passed away on April 26, 2020 after complications due to COVID-19.

Steven Delao was born on January 24, 1962 to Felipe Delao and Hermila Guerra Delao at Johnson Air Station, Japan. In 1964 they moved to Riverside, Ca at March Air Reserve Base, and then once again to Torrejon Air Base, Spain from 1965-1969. The Delao family landed at Francis E. Warren Air Base, Wyoming from 1970-1972. That is where Steven’s father retired from the Air Force and the family decided to move to Moreno Valley, CA.

After graduating from Moreno Valley High School, as Valedictorian, in 1979, Steven landed his first job at IBM, kicking off a 38-year career in Project Management and later transferring to Quality Assurance Representative.

Steven met Rox Anne Barrow in high school, and they were wed in June, 1982. They have two children, Brandon Mitchel Delao and Loren Nichole Delao. After Rox Anne’s passing on October 13, 1995 Steven met Catherine Saul and was wed in March 22, 2014.

After retiring from IBM in May, 2017, Steven went on to work for Loomis Armored Car until his passing in April, 2020. Steven spent his time tinkering and learning various hobbies to include, but not limited to, hunting, shooting, horseback riding, camping, ATV riding, and welding. He was also involved in his community with Canyon Ridge Christian Church, Cub Scouts, and was part of a Jeep club as well as Hams Radio Club.

Steven is survived by his wife Catherine Delao and her son Louie along with his children Brandon Mitchel Delao and Loren Nichole Layne.

https://www.davisfuneralservicesrainbow.com/obituary/Steven-Delao

[​IMG]

Below copied from Steve's QRZ Bio.

Good day to everyone.

Thank you for looking me up on QRZ.

I got started in radio in Southern California back in the day when CBs were big , circa 1977 at age 15. I have always been interested in electronics and have always been encouraged by my father to continue in the field. But at age 16 who really knows what is best for us, we do of course. I did take some college in electronics and my major was Microwave Communications. I had a President Madison CB base station with the usual peaks and tweaks and sliders done. I was using and Avanti 5/8 wave Omni about 65 feet in the air. Built my first Linear Amplifier (about 400 watts). Didn't totally understand all its working but I could read a schematic and could locate parts. It worked great. I immediately sold it for fear that big brother was looking for me. Then I got a job with a major corporation and left So Cal for Las Vegas and left radio behind until now, 30 years later.

I just happened to visit the Local AES store in Las Vegas, Nevada at the end of March 2010. I spoke to Julio KP4UZ (Assistant Manager) and looked at the equipment they had on display. Suddenly, I got the bug again and I was off to the races. I bought the ARRL books, all three, and studied 5-6 hours a day. Much of the curriculum was still familiar to me from my college days. I tested for Tech April 10, 2010. Then I opened the book and studied and tested for General on May 8, 2010. As soon as I got home from the test I opened the book and studied for Extra. I took my Extra exam on May 19, 2010.

I just upgraded my 1st HF radio from a vintage Swan Astro 102BX to a new Yaesu FT-2000D. I have an LDG AT-200Pro for digital use and a Dentron "Super Super Tuner" for voice use when I use my Henry 3KA amplifier. It is nothing but a work horse all day long. 60 watts in and I get 1300 out. 90 - 100 watts in and I get 1500 plus out. Depending on band. I typically only use 1KW. Neverhad need for more so far. I have also added a Hygain HT 18 Jr with 60 ground radials (18-40 feet long). Talk about a major step up in reception, Wow-wee, Oh- boy!!!!!

Other operations are a Yaesu HT VX8GR with a Diamond RH77CA. I can hit several of the local repeaters with the HT. Sometimes clearly other times not so clearly. I also have a Yaesu FT-857D connected to a Diamond X510HDN for 2M and 70CM. I have a Yaesu FT-7900 dual band for mobile use with a DIamond SG-7900.

Radio is very exciting and enjoyable for me.

Thanks again for looking. Hope to make contact on the airwaves.

Have a great day!

73s to you,

Steve

NK2V

2. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

HI STEVEN NK2V-- respect fully --vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

NK2V OBIT.jpg
    ===================================================== A CROSS FOR MILITARY HONORS.jpg
    ==================================================== A GOD REST HIS SOUL ORIGINAL.jpg
    ======================================..======================= A candle_animation_1_.gif

====================================================RESPECTFULLY,