Step up Xformer Question - Amp

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KK4YDR, Dec 19, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That isnt even broken in yet and some AL-811's hold together that long also.

My LK-500ZC is 29 years old and still on the original Eimac 3-500Z's which often are run a bright red.
    A Dentron DTR2000L still has the original 8877 and a MLA-2500 the original 8875's.

Its all in how you treat the amp.

Carl

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

Im not arguing at all. I am truly asking. Do you think the Chinese tubes "are crap" claims that people make and they blow left and right are a product of being Chinese shotty fabrication or is it just people that don't know how to run their amplifiers properly? Just looking for opinion. Because if you are telling me that you have a 3-500Z tube that is 30 years old then I am extremely impressed but!!!! caveat emptor to me, what is the duty cycle on that tube over the last 30 years? I just want to make sure that you are not saying it sat in a closet for 25 years and been used off and on once a month for 4 more years.

3. KK4YDR

This is where I also agree. I am asking about amplifiers now because I literally can't improve my antenna any more. My 80m skyloop (Delta loop turned on it's side) 60'feet up on all corners regularly and consistently gains me +30over 9 reports frequently and average is 10-20 over 9 almost every single keydown to pretty much every station that hears me. I feed it with 450 window line to a balanced line tuner direct in my shack. Only coax is about a 5 foot jumper between my 100watt ICOM 7000 and my tuner. And this is a cheapo MFJ-Tuner that is 300 watts pep. I just reserved and will be completing a purchase of a mint condition used Palstar BT1500A tuner in the next week or so. This will give me full legal limit tuning. I was concerned that the summer season noise is going to be high as usual and if I want to work a little higher up in the bands, I may want some fire in my wire to get over the low band summer noise floor as well as break through those DX pileups from time to time when a window opens to other places.

This loop is FANTASTIC on 80-75 and 15 meters. I think its amazing on 15 meters to be honest. Was listening to a station I worked the other day (EA8DAZ) from the Canary Islands off of Africa he was popping off 57,55,a few 59 reports, then I keyed down and called him and he literally said WOW your signal is amazing. I think he said I was 10 over 9 off the coast of Africa. I live in GA. I am thoroughly impressed with this thing on 15m. Thus I feel it appropriate to get an amplifier to use when conditions warrant. Again not against the idea of an AL-80B or a good used AL-1500. And now that one member said the 3-500 tubes lasted him 29 years that is super impressive and makes me think maybe an AL-82 might be a good amplifier as well.

4. KH2G

KH2G Guest

You may want to get a 20 amp outlet in your shack. Most house oputlets have 15 amp breaker except where higher current may be needed.

5. KK4YDR

Its ok. The 800H is unobtainium. Ameritron has no sockets for the tubes and will get none for months. I am digging the AL-82 or the AL-1500. I will just run a 15 foot extension from my Dryer outlet to my radio shack which is very adjacent to the laundry shack.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a bit of both. While the Chinese 3-500's have been pretty reliable their emission is not up to Eimac quality and they rarely last more than 6-10 years of average use which is not heavy duty contesting, RTTY, etc They also are not pumped down as well and gettering isnt complete so they sometimes arc when not run fairly red at times which will help regetter them.

Many hams are their own worse enemy and the AL-811 series are about as far away from idiot proof as you can get. Toss in a lot of slow moving slow tuning senior citizens and that is asking for more tube meltdowns.

The AL-82 isnt idiot proof either since at 3600V bad things can happen real fast.. At least the AL-1500 has an excellent protection circuitry so it is not easy to hurt it.

Well I had my 15 minutes of fame in the late 80's thru 90's when the amp was driven hard and put away wet in many/most (except for a bit over a year to rebuild when I moved and installed 4 towers with up to 19 HF yagis with 17 home brew) ARRL and CQ CW and SSB DX and WPX contest and came in #1 USA or NA more often than not. A weekend often logged 3000+ contacts. Since then it has been in numerous contests but not competitively, lots of DX chasing to get me close to worked them all on 8 bands and around 300 DXCC and 39 Zones on 160. Other times I use it as an AM linear at 1200W PEP several times a week just to keep the tubes gettered a lot more often than they need it....plus I really enjoy AM:D

Carl

KK4YDR likes this.
  7. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Build your self a nice solid state amp with a real regulated power supply and you won't have to worry about line voltage and all the tube nonsense.

Woody

8. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not sure anyone was worried about voltage, it was amperage.

But, I'll bite. Since power draw is a function of voltage and current, why should we not worry about voltage with a SS amp and regulated power supply?

9. KK4YDR

Because tubes just sound better I reckon. Records sound better than CDs and that is actually scientifically proven. Plus the way a tube functions by yanking those electrons away from the grid is just so much cooler to me than some boring transistorized thingy. I used to run big high power transistor audio equipment and I swear when compared to tubes that they (tubes) sound better on spl audio equipment.

Although not attempting to sound hypocritical the AL1306 looks like a tasty option and im not kidding.

10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the voltage isn't high enough to kill you.

50Vdc, where most of the high power SS amps work, is a safe voltage even if you place your hands across the terminals. Your body cannot draw enough current to be very harmful at such a low voltage; however avoid wearing conductive jewelry, as if that shorts the power supply terminals there can be enough current available to turn your jewelry into a torch and burn you. That's even a problem with 12V car batteries.