Statistics from the DXcluster is a controversial theme

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by PA1A, Jan 24, 2010.

?

Zelfspotters @ DXclusters should be ignored as DX

Poll closed Feb 7, 2010.
  1. Agree

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Dis-agree

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Don't know

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
  1. PA1A

PA1A Ham Member QRZ Page

Today's some Dutch DXcluster users are sometimes out of control. Why is this? Mostly, because they are not well educated enough nor have been properly instructed on the their DX postings on a cluster.
    To review the operating practice of some spotters in the Netherlands, I analyzed the DXcluster database after importing this into Excel and Access. Running some DbQueries gave some interesting results:
    Dutch TOP 25 zelfspotting stations sorted by prefix showed at http://www.pa1a.com/PA1A/General/general_dxcluster_statsdutch.html
    Thus, these hams make improper spots, they are causing 313 zelfspots.
    Those radioamateurs haven't figured it out. Now I am sure a bunch of you are mad at me, but what I hope is that word gets around that if you really want to spot yourself it is getting hard hide your tracks because IP-addresses of these zelfspotters are saved also.

Maybe they would be better off spending more time developing operating skills and less trying to ''leming'' on the DXcluster.

I want to spread the message to every DX station: do not work Zelfspotting stations from PA (or other DXCC) with poor operating practice skills.

73, Henk van der Honing PA1A
    www.pa1a.com

2. N7YP

N7YP Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry om,but i have worked many new ones that were(kind enough)to advise na that he was active on certain band or freq.,in fact now have cards in hand for 5 band dxcc.many came because of self spotters.

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was told by the Belgiums this is maybe a Dutch trait.....;)

I lived in Kapallen 2002 and 2003. Beautiful country you have.

Personally I have no problem with self-spotting.

4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It doesn't matter. Someone else is going to spot them as soon as they're noticed anyway. Might as well spot themselves so that at least the correct information is documented.

I don't use the DX Clusters, myself. Personally I wish there wasn't such a thing. I've had too many nice, real, QSOs with DX stations ruined by someone spotting the DX and then it starts with a trickle of rude people trying to break in or transmitting right on top of you, and before long the whole barbarian hoard of LIDs & cops swarm in and it's over.

5. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm sure they don't mean to make incorrect posts and no, we are not mad at you. You have a lovely country and I know those who have been self spotting are thanking you for pointing it out to them.

Your good friend, KA4DPO.

6. K3RU

K3RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I think self-spotting is acceptable. When I see a self-spot I tune to see if I can copy.

I think the real abuse of spotting clusters is using them to confirm calls, reports, etc that was missed during the actual QSO.

Sometimes - well most times - I spend more time spotting stations than actually working them.

My spots always include a signal report just as if I was in a QSO with them. It is surprising to see how many DX stations after CQing endlessly with no answers immediately stop after "seeing a signal report".

All they wanted to know was that they were "getting out".

I ONLY spot stations who are calling CQ.

NN4RH is right about spotting a station which is engaged in a QSO - it is rude and uncalled for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.