ad: hrd-2

Stations who don't QSL

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZL1MTO, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE4AZZ

KE4AZZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's one that I recently found on another logging site... only took 24 years to confirm...pretty cool, one of my first 2 meter ssb contacts 700 miles away...
    [​IMG]

W4IOA and W4RAV like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know how far they go back online, Burt. I've got my paper logs here in the shack going back to 1987. I only started entering them digitally to multiple sites in 2014. If I entered all that 1987 stuff right now that would be 30 years old and fresh as a daisy.
    Your point?

3. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

You must not have any faith in technology if you think e-logs won't be around longer than the 100-years or so at best your paper log will last. Unless you plan on storing it in dry nitrogen. :)

Perhaps if you only had one e-copy. If you upload to a couple logbook services, have your own backups, you can crash you whole computer and still recover. Whereas, one cup of coffee, a fire, the dog, or 1000 other things, which could ruin a paper log.

Paper of prior millennia aren't the same as today's. Unless you plan on writing on stone or linen, your spiral notebook won't last nearly as long.

I think that's really the issue. I like the convenience of being able to look up some detail in an instant. Whether it be if I worked you, how many countries or states I've worked, modes I've used, hell, just being able to sort by callsign! Imagine the time it would take to hunt for something you wanted to know and had no idea what page of your stack of paper logs it's in.

If you have access, neither is secure. And it's a logbook, so who really cares? Most online are public anyway.

W4IOA likes this.
  4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had paper logs from 1974-1996 that I threw away. Quite frankly I've never missed them. So when it comes to preserving logs I say.....What...me worry?

5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The longevity of our logs, whether they are written or electronic is a moot point since once we pass on no one will care.

Sorry to be a downer, but the recent passing of a good friend of mine really made this point clear. He logged on paper, did not chase any awards, and generally just had a good time with the hobby. Now all his accomplishments while a ham are in limbo. Who knows what if anything will be done with the logs?

It's all up to the survivors. Probably some written reminders will remain...

Kind of put things in perspective for me.

N1OOQ, KC1DQH and WD0BCT like this.
  6. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Secure? You bet! But what if you lose the key? Still secure. But unavailable.

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, but what if I lose the piece of paper?

If it's important enough and I really want to do it right I can give the key and passphrase with instructions to a trusted third party. That could be a bank safe deposit box, lawyer's office or whatever.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

:)

9. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I try to make a point of sending a QSL Card to every new ham that I make a contact with. I remember when I was a new ham, the excitement of going to the mail box to see if there were any cards. Of course, that was sooo long ago that it might have been the Pony Express Box that contained the cards.

N1FF and KE4OH like this.
  10. N9EN

N9EN Subscriber QRZ Page