ad: chuckmartin

Stations who don't QSL

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZL1MTO, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://hamspots.net/
    This site is very useful for identifying active digital stations using LoTW or eQSL.

WD0BCT likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

RAV:

Paper logbooks are going to be around a LOT longer than any computer log! I still have my very first paper log that started just over 59-years ago but none of my hard drives and a goodly number of the floppies that I have that are even over 10-years old are still fully functional.

Yes, there is always a chance that a paper log will be destroyed. However, there is MUCH less a chance that such will happen when compared with electronically stored information.

I have been using computers for at least 52-years, starting with the Burroughs B-5500, using Algol 58 and Algol 60 with paper punch cards for the programming and data input. My first "personal" computer was a Radio Shack TRS-80 model I first with audio cassette input / output and then shortly expanded to 4-each 5.5-inch floppies with 160K storage. I still have that computer but the floppy information is badly corrupted if even still there!

There are written records thousands of years old that can still be read today. Today, electronic records are very "iffy" as to if they will still be able to be accessed in like 20-years! We are "supposed" to become "paperless" society. However, there are quite a few individuals who "print off" data, and that is happening more and more these days, because people just do not "trust" computers! Also, electronic data is MUCH less secure than printed data. Just look at all the breaches in data that are happening every day. Yes, someone can break into my house, office, etc., and get my "hard copy" data. But, that requires a whole lot MORE effort than what is happening with electronic data these days!

I do have 3-computers going in my house and use them all the time. But, I definitely am aware of the security breaches, lost hard drives, computer crashes, and so forth. As such, I do NOT put sensitive data on a computer, especially one connected to the Internet.

Glen, K9STH

KE4OH, NY7Q and K1OIK like this.
  3. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have received them recently from 1989, and a 3 years ago I received one for 1978. I did have the logs.

4. K1OIK

You think in 20 years you will be able to access the data you enter today? How about memories stored on VHS?

5. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or your collection of 8-track Golden Oldies?

K1OIK likes this.
  6. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

Dunno. Google manages to find messages I posted on Usenet 20 years ago.

7. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have sensitive data sitting on Amazon S3 which was encrypted with a 2048 bit key before it left me.

How can that possibly be "MUCH less secure" than a piece of paper in my house?

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

They'll have to pry my log pages from my dead, cold hand. :eek:

9. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If I felt my logs were important I'd print them off and save them. I copy my logs to lotw, eqsl, and QRZ. Plenty of backup and redundancy. Plus, who knows if I'm alive in 20 years.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. K1OIK

That's text, try accessing data stored by ham radio programs going back 25 years.