ad: M2Ant-1

Stations who don't QSL

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by ZL1MTO, Jun 11, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ZL1MTO

ZL1MTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    I am relatively new on the hobby (6 months) and have been very active on HF since late January this year.

I like collecting QSL's and also enjoy working towards Awards on the QRZ, LOTW, whatever. Yes, I know some people hate this but I do like.

So far I have worked 29 countries however only 16 confirmed via either QRZ, LOTW or Club Log (I work with all three).

It is very frustrating that certain stations would not QSL our QSO....there's a certain country where I made 5 QSO's with different stations and none of them would QSL. Another one with 3 single stations...no QSL.

So.....my question is......is it polite to ask the operator to confirm our QSL so I can confirm the country on my QRZ board ?

As I said, I know some operators prefer this or that system but I have 3 systems interconnected therefore it doesn't matter which way they confirm, I will get the QSL anyway.

I understand that some people don't like / don't want to confirm QSO's as this is not important however for me it is the other way around.

Thanks
    Marcelo
    ZL1MTO

2. WW2E

WW2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You're going to need to be a lot more patient. There are many reasons why QSLs (LoTW or paper) can take a very long time. This topic has been discussed here before, and you might wish to do a search.

If you require instant gratification, you're going to find QSLing a frustrating and disappointing experience. Patience is everything.

I recently received a QSL card for a contact made over 20 years ago. Waiting 2-3 years for some cards is not uncommon. Many hams upload logs to LoTW only once every few months, so that, too, can take time.

US7IGN, KB4QAA and WG7X like this.
  3. ZL1MTO

ZL1MTO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks...already researched and could not find the topic.

I understand where you are coming from however please note we are not talking about "Cards" here ...I would understand someone who will need to prepare a paper QSL and go to the Post Office would take his time. Ironically, so far I have received 100% of the paper QSL's I sent.

It would take just a couple of clicks with the mouse and keyboard to upload an electronic QSL. I still have 55% of electronic QSL's that is not too bad but my point is that it seems that there's a pattern with certain countries.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many of us consider providing a QSL a courtesy, either a card or electronic or both. But there is no obligation for anyone to do so. Thus some people do not. And those who do confirm may not be "fast" ... Some of us have slow and unreliable internet connections, so uploads may be few and far between. Some upload only on request. So as WW2E said, you need to be patient. The best way to get a country confirmed is to work it many times.

KB4QAA and KB2SMS like this.
  5. K1FBI

K1FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How many? The poster said he worked one Country 5 times and no confirmation.
    I have worked Japan 6 times and no confirmation.

6. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Instant gratification... Yes, a common desire these days.

The OP says in his bio that he has been an SWL for many years and has over two hundred confirmations so he understands the process when dealing with short wave broadcasters.

Unfortunately, for some, hams are not SWBC operators with a big advertising and QSL budget. We, as a group, are working on limited budgets both for time and money. It has already been said, but bears repeating: not everyone logs the same way be it paper or electronic. Even among those of us who do log by computer don't always upload immediately.

Patience is required.

Sending a ham an email reminder might work, or it might not. You are of course welcome to try, just be prepared for the fact that it might work against you. As you spend more time in the hobby the QSLs will come. After a few years or decades you too, might have box after box of QSLs in the closet. Ask any long term ham, they will tell you. In fact, they already have. Right here.

Just as a point of interest, I now know that a regular shoebox can hold almost two thousand post cards... Now multiply that at about five times and you begin to see a problem. Electronic QSLs are good too, but we all enjoy having the card to hold and maybe post on the wall.

Good luck, and remember patience is the key!

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

There a few considerations:

1. Not everyone uses LoTW, for one reason or another.

2. Not everyone uses, or pays attention to QRZ-QSL's, particularly because they aren't valid for any official award.

3. Not everyone uses eQSL, for some of the reasons given in #2.

4. MOST Amateurs do not normally QSL local (on HF, that is state-side) contacts.

5. IF you need (or want) a QSL , it is acceptable to mention that specifically, preferably within a QSO.

6. If you REALLY want a QSL, include a SASE with your QSL card; with DX, a SAE (self addressed envelope, WITHOUT postage which has to come from the DX) and normally include (now) a couple of "green stamps" (i.e. $1.00 USD) to cover the DX's postage. Since IRC's are no longer sold by the USPS, they are normally not an option, but if you have RECEIVED IRC's that are current (they DO have an expiration stated on the front) you can use them, and they are still recognized by the USPS.
    If you DO respond to DX, make NO mention of "Amateur Radio" on either envelope, just use name and address (yours AND theirs;) that will reduce the chance of theft in the mail, and make sure any "green stamps" are inconspicuous, by wrapping them in an extra sheet of plain paper.

7. Be patient.

8. Be MORE patient. Not everyone sends QSL's instantly; some wait a month or more before they get a "roundtuit."

9. Be even MORE patient with DX. Many foreign ops use the "QSL Buro" and depending upon your QSL bureau, may send out only every six months.

10. Be MOST patient. I've received QSL requests as long as 10 YEARS old; if they ARE in my log (I log all HF contacts) they will receive my QSL.

11. OBVIOUSLY, keep a log, at least for HF contacts. I log ALL HF, but also satellite and VHF/UHF contacts. That way, you have a record of an actual contact, ratrher than just a fuzzy memory of a contact made days ago, not to mention weeks, months, or longer. Sending a QSL without confirmation on your part is considered improper. Logging can be either "paper" or electronic, but if electronic, back up your log frequently, should you experience a glitch.

12. Remember, that unfortunately, there ARE some curmudgeons out there; they just don't QSL. For one reason or another, some simply say so up front ( I don't QSL,) some just ignore requests.

Welcome to Amateur Radio! I wish you well for many, many years to come! And above all, HAVE FUN!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    KB4QAA, KU4X and W7UUU like this.
  8. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting. I worked 6 Japanese stations in one morning on FT8 and 5 confirmations on LoTW that evening. The sixth took a week. I have 12 QSOs (FT8) with Spanish stations and not one confirmation.
    I'm a new ham and don't have any DX QSOs yet. A don't have very many US phone QSOs yet but most were confirmed on LoTW. But almost all were contesters or special events.

9. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a big fan of paper QSLs. I send one to every OP upon first QSO with them. I love getting one back, but I know that many will not send one. I do use the incoming bureau and a club (SKCC) bureau. More paper.

I use the QRZ log because I like it, so I do get some automatic confirmations with other stations that also use QRZ. But lots of OPs do not use QRZ.

I don't use LOTW nor eQSL nor ClubLog. Not likely to start.

NK2U likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Fwiw - remember why you got into this hobby. Reasons vary, however, I don't remember ever meeting another ham who got involved in ham radio just to collect postcards.

KV6O, WG7X and KU4X like this.