Stations on 7.290

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W5JO, Oct 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W5JO

W5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

This afternoon on 7.290 I was operating AM with a friend down in Colorado. I am located in Casper, WY and a very strong station came on frequency using SSB and began calling several other stations "on schedule".

While this is, in and of itself, not unusual, I had been on the freq. for over and hour and I had to sign because the closer station was stronger than the station I was working. I turned on my SSB rig and heard him identify as K0DTU talking to K0LYK. During the conversation the lady (K0LYK) mentioned Kansas politics and Wichita.

The lady took a short break to attend to something in the house so I took the opportunity to call the station. He came right back to the call K0DTU and, when queried, stated he was in Freeman, SD. I won't go into all the details, but after the brief conversation, I searched the FCC Database for both calls and they are unassigned.

These people came on 7.290 at 3[​IMG]0 PM MDT. Last Sunday at the same time, I heard him calling the same stations, so it appears to be a regular habit. I tried to get him to confirm the calls, but he refused and disappeared without answering any futher questions.

You folks might keep your ears open and if you hear the stations, the authorities should be notified. They operated just like hams, but if they are using the calls I gave, they are illegal and should be reported.

73 Jim
    de W5JO

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Jim,

Sounds suspucious alright. Looks like bootlegging is alive and well in the USA!

73, Gary WG7X

3. KE7VE

KE7VE Banned QRZ Page

Jim,
    Sorry I missed you guys, but I had been up all night looking at rocks....so was naping at 3PM.

Related to this, after I got home from the last well, I had a qsl card from a guy who claimed to have worked me on 14314 on ssb and thanking me for the new county.
    I emailed him explaining that except for two nets I check into ocassionally I am never on ssb, only AM & CW and at the time listed I was on 7290 with the AM Saturday night crowd.

It appears the illegals are not above using legit calls as well.

73, Marty WB2RJR/7, (k7rkr)

4. W0TDH

W0TDH Ham Member QRZ Page

Same thing used to happen on 20 mtr SSB. A group of YL's would be come on freq. as if looking for a clear freq. es set up shop. They discussed things as if they were all keeping up with the activities of persons in their own area es sharing the info with the group. When questioned as to who they were es their Call signs the Net Control would say up or down five girls. They moved several times like that. Others would question them es they would move again. Very rapid fire traffic es professional. Smelled like Gov't biz to me, but don't they have enough spectrum of their own ? Hrd this many times on 20 mtr SSB.

Tom - K0PJG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.