Stationary Mobile HF CW ops

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N5EIT, Nov 30, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I found a great place to operate my radios that is out 20 miles or so from town, with little RFI, and on a levee well above the surrounding ground level. In the past I have set up portable vertical antenna's on tripods, etc... (There are no trees for EF wires on the levee.) So, now that it is getting colder, and because the coyotes and hogs tend to be curious about my runnin' buddy (Gunny the dog) once the sun goes down; I have decided to use the 2m antenna NMO mount on my trunk lid with an NMO to 3/4 x 24 adapter and an MFJ 17' SS collapsible vertical with coil base. I will attach counterpoises for the bands that I want to work by just threading some 24 awg wire under the nmo threads to make contact with the ground side threads and stretch them out. I'll be using my MFJ-9296 cw rig with an Elecraft T1 tuner. I'll be stationary while operating, but technically "mobile"...hehe AND, warm and cozy inside the car with Gunny asleep and safe in the back seat. I'm kind of excited to get out of the wind and weather. I'm sure I'll have some noise when the car is actually running, but I'll shut off the engine when it gets toasty inside. I have had good luck with 40m, 30m, 20m, and up when the antenna was on a camera tripod at around 6 feet high. I've worked all over the US and Eastern Europe with around 8 watts on 30m with that set-up. We'll see if my shenanigans work out on the trunk mount. Has anyone done anything similar?

2. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've run plenty of CW using the mobile rig and mobile antenna from campgrounds and the like. I worked field day a few years ago that way while camping in rural Wyoming. The really low noise floor seems to make up for the inefficient mobile antennas I've used which are homebrew Bugcatchers and a Little Tarheel screwdriver. I haven't tried adding additional radials or other counterpoise but I expect that would help as long as you retuned the antenna accordingly.

Parked, mobile operations are fun, I've worked plenty of stateside and DX from the car. It's really amazing how well an HF rig can work, even with a mediocre mobile antenna when the noise floor is all but nonexistent.

-Dave

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do the same. I used to do CW driving the 405 freeway, with a stick shift no less.....but I don't normally recommend this any more. Most of my mobile operation now is stationary. I wrote a whole chapter on this in The Opus of Amateur Radio Knowledge and Lore. It was one of my favorite chapters.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a multiband-rotatable-dipole ( MRD ) for 40-20-15-10 meters that I sometimes mount in the bed of my pickup truck, on a 19' tripod mast. I consider it mobile if the engine is running and there are no "connections" to "the world" except for the four tires. So I park on the side of the road, raise the dipole as far as I can and orient it for minimum noise. I did this in the last South Carolina QSO Party, ran six counties, and won my category ( solo-mobile ). But although it is easy enough to unsecure-raise and lower-secure, and although it does fine ( secured ) at 75 mph, I only bring out the MRD for special occasions.

Normally I just park by the side of the road and operate 40-30-20-17 meter CW with the Tarheel. Have over 5,000 mobile QSOs so far this calendar year. Tons of fun !

5. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This guy is doing something very similar to what I want to do... I may build me one of these and get a 43 foot telescoping pole, then run a bunch of radials that I have set up wire reels.

N4UP, I've thought many times about setting up a rotatable dipole for my mobile/portable ops.

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice setup... especially the Peugeot! They quit selling them here in the late 80s (I think) and I wish they would sell them here again. We drove a 2012 508 SW Estate (station wagon) through Denmark, Norway and Sweden in 2012 and it is by far, hands down, the best car I have ever driven on any continent!

7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FB N5EIT. I use the MFJ-1775 multi-band rotatable dipoles. One model covers 40-20-15-10, the other 30-17-12 meters. They perform well. The only problems are the spokes. If you drop the antenna, the spokes bend like crazy ( note to self after this happened to me, don't drop ).

Truck_with_MRD.jpg

This photo shows the MRD secured for driving. This telescoping tripod mast can raise the antenna to around 20 feet above ground level. Not very directional at that height, but has lower noise and performs better than the Tarheel.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

I found I only need two random length radials about 20 and 33 ft long laid on ground.
    I have a 2x6 plank with a 1-1/4" pipe on it, park a car tire on the plank, pull up 30-33ft of telescopic aluminum tubing an LDG 4;1 unun.
    I use an FT857 or MFJ QRP 9200 and MFJ QRP tuner. Lots of fun and vy easy to do. Hope you have a good time OM. VY 72/73