Static Discharge of a Mobile Antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by AA5ET, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Ham Member QRZ Page

...apart from the fact that your antenna is parallel to the body and where the RF current is at maximum, the base of the antenna, its going straight into the quarter panel....

It needs to be clear of adjacent body work.

2. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

You're probably right. And also if you're used to the narrow SWR bandwidth on say, 80 meters, then the bandwidth on 2 meters would seem unusually wide.

KB5HAB,
    The antenna originally came with something on the tip, but more of a little slip-on cover - not really a ball-shape. After doing the final cut I rounded the end, and becuase I cut so much off the diameter of the end is actually larger than the little ball that came on the antenna. The antenna works great.

3. AA5ET

What can I say, it works well enough for me.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

If your rig's receiver input has DC continuity to ground, you don't need anything.

5. AA5ET

Thanks Bryan, how can I tell if the rig's receiver input has DC continuity to ground? Put an ohm meter across it?

6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

That'll work.

7. AA5ET

Just checked it, no DC continuity. Guess I'll put a resistor across the antenna leads.

8. AA5ET

Done.

Here's a photo of the pigtail with the resistor installed.
    [​IMG]

Surge protector
    [​IMG]

9. VU2NAN

VU2NAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  10. AA5ET

Thanks Nandu,
    Guess I could, but I wanted to keep it simple to start with. If I feel that I need more gain I might try it. Using the same ball mount the cap and inductor would have to be inside the vehicle. Do you think that would work?

Have you homebrewed a 5/8-wave 2-meter antenna? If so, how did it work out for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.