State Parks

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KG5WKO, Mar 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

We have the Franklin State Park here with steps for looking out on area. Do I need special permit to pull in a set up my Antenna and operate portable from car? I have been told federal parks do require permits. Since this is open access does this make a difference as about to do this for first time on Portable set up.

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Contacting the State Park Service would be the logical step.

K3XR and ND6M like this.
  3. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if there are rules, there might be local discretion with enforcing them. My favorite RI state park has a rule that nothing can be tied to trees, but they let me hang wire antennas.

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I won't be going there if I can't tie my hammock to something. Now I'm going to get arrested for sleeping

5. K0VWA

K0VWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I've done portable ops in Rocky Mountain NP, Yellowstone NP, Glacier NP and Banff NP in Canada with no issues. No comments from official types but usually have a few civilians curious about the rig.

Colorado state parks sound like Rhode Island's state parks - all you can do to a tree is hug it. Colorado SP will not allow hanging wire antennas in trees - at least they haven't let me do it yet. :) Have been to lots of other non-state parks with no tree issues. Usually armed with a Buddipole antenna kit but sometimes have carried the Alpha Delta DX-CC - sometimes both.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

6. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

HOW is what you do in yer car any business of them in chg or how is your car their juridiction??
    It's PERFECTLY LEGAL til you get caught, remember that...
    Yer antenna is mounted on or braced by the car? I say, Let Er Rip!

7. W7HV

W7HV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes it's better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

KU3X and AA8NN like this.
  8. N1SFT

N1SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Each Federal park, or wildlife area, or campground, or forest may have slightly different rules. I know from experience that the White Mountains Federal Forest does not allow the installation of "communications equipment." The nice park ranger who was fully armed made sure to show me the Code last summer of field day. The officer would not make distinction between a temporary installation and a permanent installation. I was trying to set up a guyed telescopic mast. During my encounter, a forest manager arrived, and even he needed to stand by while the officer was in charge.

Long story short: pull a permit. You'll never be wrong if you attempt to pull a permit. Chances are, they will issue you a permit, at no cost. If they don't need to issue you a permit, then you'll have an email trail that gives you permission, even though an official permit is not required. Print that email.

Its quite freeing to know you have written permission from the authorities to be using a piece of land. Eventually you'll have made so many good relationships, that all you'll need to do is call - and the authorities will start to understand and trust the hams of the world.

These park managers have significant leverage. Let them do their jobs, and we'll all beneifit.