Starting the RV Ham Shack Project.

Discussion in 'RV Operating and Camping' started by KL7IEK, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7IEK

KL7IEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in the process of putting together my RVing Ham Shack. Tomorrow starts the interior construction in our 32 foot, Class C, Four Winds. I have the table layout somewhat formed up in my mind and have several antennas in mind to work 10 through 40 meters. I haven't nailed down 80 meters yet as most campgrounds frown on stringing wire from their trees. I haven't run up on too many RVing Hams for their ideas and I'm open for all the experienced comments I can find. I'm sure my ladder will be my first collection of verticals. It would nice to have a beam that would fold over and ride on the roof, but I'd better keep it simple to start. I'll try and post some pictures as I progress with the project. We're hoping to hit the road with the Wrangler YJ in tow this spring heading north out of Georgia. 73's and please post any ideas, no matter how wild. I'm apt to try most anything. Cheers KL7IEK, George.

2. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I hope it isn't too wild... Just remember not to drive down the highway with it on top. :)

Foldable tripod.

[​IMG]

You can see the "parachute cord" guys tied off to the roof rack. Stays solid as a rock.

Uses 4 lightweight aluminum tubes that join together for use as the antenna mast.

Antenna is called a Cobwebb and it's a multiband antenna that covers 10m-20m. The shape is a compact 6 foot square.

Despite the compact appearance, it actually uses full sized antenna elements. (Think of it as a fan dipole, wrapped into the shape of a square.)

The dipole wire elements don't require external supports. Also unlike an inverted V, this method keeps the antenna elements as high as possible off the ground for better performance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't forget to get a handful of .01 caps, and some snap on ferrites... You WILL be fighting RFI... Lights, main power supply for the RV, fans, etc... I have RFI proofed two RV now, and they are just chocked full of little RF surprises...

4. VE3MPG

VE3MPG Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a great resource for RV hams:

http://www.openroadsradio.net/

Bob VE3MPG

5. KJ6RGX

KJ6RGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using the MFJ-1788 mounted on the rear ladder. No RFI problems and ground is not an issue. The 1788 covers 15m thru 40m rated to 150 watts. Not really directional, but it does have nulls when oriented vertical.

Dan KJ6RGX

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I should mention you can load the tripod, aluminum mast and the cobwebb antenna on top and make it function as a "top hat". This arrangement works very well on 40/80 meters but requires an antenna tuner.

7. KL7IEK

Thanks for all the great comments. Completed the radio desk and shelf today and have them installed. Tomorrow I'm taking on mounting the 10-40 meter vertical. Also plan on wiring in an additional 20 amp plug. Nice that the power distrabution box is right back by the radio desk. Still waiting for coax.

Desk and Self.jpg

8. AD5MB

AD5MB Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KL7IEK

Put power on the old TS-530S. Seems the microphone has died while in storage, or that's what I'm hoping, considering the other alternatives. Anyway progress continues and I'll keep the photos coming as I get projects complete. Cheers KL7IEK - George

VerticalAntenna10thru40meters_zps0cb9ad4b.jpg
    MotorHomeShackOn-The-Air_zps340fb8a3.jpg

10. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Some good friends of mine have a Four Winds RV. The first time they brought it home and parked it in their driveway, a butterfly landed on it, covering up the upper part of the D in Four Winds, so it looked like Four Winos. The name stuck. :)

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.