Starting a ham club at school.

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KK4NWA, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NWA

KK4NWA Guest

Thanks, everyone, for the help. One of the sad things about education in the "modern world" is that it totally has abandoned the vo tech side of education for all this common core, academic stuff. Kids, especially young males, are begging to see real life applications to their academic learning and AR is a great way to do it.

2. KD3NE

KD3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Have them learn a little bit about electronics, get them the ARRL Ham Radio License Manual.

Have them read and study the manual over time and then ask them questions covered in the manual but are NOT on the question pool.

This way you will know they are learning the information and not just memorizing the test questions and answers.

Most importantly MAKE IT FUN FOR THEM !!!!

I pretty much did the above with my children and when they went to take their Tech test they had no problem passing as they knew the information.

Teaching them to solder is a good idea, then once they get the hang of that find some small radio kits they can build as club projects.

Having them build a simple AM broadcast receiver then to see it work will put a gleam in their eyes.

I remember taking Electronics as an elective in High School back in the 1970's and the pride I had in the things we made in that class. ( Analog VOM / AM Receiver / Audio Amplifier ) among several other projects.

It's a shame that classes like that are not taught anymore and the schools today are focused on " teaching the test " for the classes they do have.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good show!

Well, I don't know how it is in your bailiwick, but we have many hams in this town who can't GIVE away H.F. rigs. If you aren't averse to older equipment, you should be able to put a nice station up for nothing. We certainly did.

Eric

4. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

probably, CW only QRP radio, and external commercially build 100 watts amplifier such as one from TEN TEC or elecraft to go along with them. reason I say only CW is, because , many of conversation going on on HF SSB or FM voice is probably not appropriate for class room. but, CW is still clean from bad language for most parts.
    QRP radio is easy to build in many form and many companies make kit, 100 watts amplifier make it some what more practical.

5. KC2JYK

KC2JYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is suggestion for your students what about Hamsphere?
    They will like it you can apply use Hs call sign Go to Hamsphere.com.
    KC2JYK
    ART

6. W4BUE

W4BUE Subscriber QRZ Page

Great on getting your license. Tell me about ages of your kids and what you teach at the school. Carole Perry WB2MGP is a great source. Get some ideas off of my Elmering ARC home page K4AMG.org. We started a club at the a high school Vo Tech, W4FOS, 5 years ago.

Have fun with the students. email if you have any questions or comments.

Happy Hamming

God Bless

W4BUE

7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

This is great news that you want to start a radio club, especially coming from a teacher. When I was in eighth grade my science teacher had a ham radio program.. which is how I got into ham radio back in 1988.

Use the ARRL guide, teach the theory. They aren't going to learn anything by just memorizing the answers. Our teacher was able to offer some incentives. If you passed your 5 wpm CW.. you were exempt from one marking period project. If you passed your theory/got licensed.. you were exempt from another marking period project. If you upgraded... another exemption. I was able to get exempt from 3 out of 4 projects and for my project I did it on radio! It was a good incentive to press on.

Get a radio station. Our school we had a 3el beam and a dipole up for HF.. I made many contacts from there! I'm sure you could find people to donate some good older equipment to a school club radio station.

The soldering idea is great. Get some kits going. Build something they can use. We built Keyers and made paddles out of copper clad pcboard. It was something we could use once we got our licenses and on the air. I still have my paddles (I used them last year to make my first CW EME QSO!) I'm sure you could find something more applicable to todays interests (perhaps a digital interface).

Lastly.. I'm not sure if they still do this but try to get a school club call. Our old call was WA2RGV. Design QSL's, etc.

Ham Radio as a hobby has opened doors for me in my professional life, it is a great hobby to be involved in. It still amazes me after 25 years as a ham.

8. NI3S

NI3S Ham Member QRZ Page

First off, thanks for giving the kids in your area something positive to do with their time. Have you contacted a local club and asked about setting up a 'field day' if you will at the school? A group of kids hearing some warbled voice from the other side of the planet might motivate them to achieve something similar. They could build the antenna. Talk to some local electrical distributors or contracts for some scrap wire. The math and setup of a few decent antennas will get some hands dirty. PVC pipe and a dollar store tape measure make a low budget beam on vhf or uhf, another potential project.

Again, thanks for taking the time.

9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Matthew,

I just came across your posting.

I recommend that you contact Carole Perry, WB2MGP who is a long-time advocate for and promoter of Amateur Radio in the Classroom:
    wb2mgp@ix.netcom.com

Also check out information and resources available from ARRL:

http://www.arrl.org/amateur-radio-in-the-classroom
    http://www.arrl.org/classroom-activities
    http://www.arrl.org/etp-classroom-resources
    http://www.21stcenturyschools.com/Ham_Radio.htm

Best of Luck!

Mel - KS2G

Assistant Director
    Hudson Division
    ARRL
    ks2g@arrl.net

10. KK4DKE

KK4DKE Ham Member QRZ Page

another project is to make a small power supply and where the students can make their own circuit boards. use the copper sided boards, where they have to put tape over where the traces are needing to be. and let them soak in the etching solution to burn off the excess. drill holes to place components in and then the solder jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.