Starting a ham club at school.

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by KK4NWA, May 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK4NWA

KK4NWA Guest

I'm a teacher (KK4NWA) and just got into Ham radio a couple of months ago. I am starting a club in my school next school year and already have about 4 kids interested. I going to try to get them their techs ASAP and then start working on the Generals. A lot of these kids have science classes but no real applications for the science. The first thing I'm going to do in the club is have them bring in a transistor radio with AM and have them compete to see how far they can DX at night through logging stations. The next week I'm going to have them QSL a couple of DX stations.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE A RECOMMENDATION OF ANY OTHER CHEAP WAYS TO GET THEM TO COMPETE/PLAY WITH RADIO before they get their tech let me know. We're also going to fool around with soldering.

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That is great.

What age are your students ?

Teach them good safety practice and wear eye protection while soldering.

Have Fun.

3. KD7VEA

KD7VEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A radio club sounds awesome. I wish my school would have done that when I was younger. Try some third party opperating, nothing will get them hooked like getting on the air. Maybe try some kits. Maybe have the whole group work on something like a softrock kit. Have someone with satalite experience come in and show how to work hundreds of miles away with a cheap handheld, and a homemade antenna

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

CoOme up with some basic test equipment: scope, DVM, capacitance meter, swr bridge, impedance analyzer and soldering iron. Let them buy, build any kit, could be PIR security sensor. blinky LED, whatever, they will learn to solder and feel like they have mastered some part of electronics. Easy enough to find schematic for xtal oscillator which is fun to build on perf board or proto-board. Great work.

I've learned a lot helping my son get his license and he is first year computer engineering now.

5. W1PPP

W1PPP Ham Member QRZ Page

Take a look at this thread.

Look at what N9JPS says about his wife's plans to bring AR into her classes.

Also pay particular attention to what KQ6XA says about making AR relevant to the kids of TODAY.

A freebie thing the kids could do until they are on the air, SWL at www.websdr.org

Good luck with your club !!!

6. W1PPP

7. W1PPP

8. KK4DKE

KK4DKE Ham Member QRZ Page

If have a Handheld radio you can show practical differences with different types of antennas. Such as being not able to "ping" a distant repeater with a "rubber duck" , but then use a home made *(that the kids can build with online prints) and unsnap the rubber duck, and plug in a temp beam antenna, and then able to "ping" a distant repeater.

Antennas are 90% communication systems, and an Icon 999999 or Kenwood Delta367890XL, etc supercharge with amplifiers with a coax thrown out the window will get you across the street, but that's about it.

Antenna projects are good, homebrew J-poles with ribbon cable, 1/2 copper pipe, or (3) 11.5 inch wires coming off a coax connector.

9. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

First and for most, teach soldiering! Even if the kids don't stay into radio much beyond the school, soldering is a skill that they will be able use for the rest of their lives. That can even get them some fairly descent jobs when they graduate from high school.

A great way would be for them to build their own radios. I was surprised to find that you can still get the same kit am/fm radio that I built in my school electronics class, 15 years ago.
    http://www.amazon.com/AM-Radio-Trainer-requires-assembly-advanced/dp/B000FMQ37C

In addition to soldering, it also provides the opportunity to teach about test equipment (multimeter, o-sopes, etc)

10. WA6RNU

WA6RNU Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggest you contact Carle Perry WB2MGP. Head of Radio Club of America Youth education Committee. Stan WA6RNU

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.