ad: AbAuRe-1

Standards for Hams

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K9PO, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N6HBJ

N6HBJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AMSEA Marine safety update, volume 14, no. 3, Fall 1998

A GMDSS SUCCESS STORY
    One of the limitations of using a VHF or SSB radio is that it can only be picked up by vessels or rescue resources in your area. VHF is relatively limited (15 to 20 miles). SSB is better at several hundred miles (but only if someone is tuned in to it). But what if there are no rescue resources near you, like off the horn of Africa?

The passenger vessel Archille Lauro with 2,000 passengers caught fire off Eriteria not long ago. A morse code SOS was sent off which was picked up by the Hawaiian King. They in turn alerted the MRCC in Stavanger Norway. Within 10 minutes, the MRCC sent an alert out to all vessels within a 150 mile radius. Within 2 hours there were 16 vessels on scene, and within six hours all 2,000 passengers were rescued. All of this occurred despite the fact that there were no dedicated professional rescue services in the area. GMDSS more effectively coordinated the rescue and shorten the time gap.

2. N6HBJ

-KC7JTY said:

Why is it that anything wrong or done illegally is done only by CBers? If your bank gets robbed is it automatically CBers that did it? Since when does holding an extra class license mean that person knows ANYTHING about radio, not to mention electronics?
    Why is it never mentioned about the thousands of hams(all classes) who operate regularly on the 11 meter freeband?
    You people are a joke...like a cross between the boyscouts and a religious cult.... gimme a break.
    The "goon" aspect that you apply to the CBers (which I understand where you're coming from) is an american characteristic.....Just listen to the freebanders coming in from Europe..... Many of whom hold various class amateur licenses in their respective countries. They are an absolute joy to make contact with.....Oh...maybe thats why the Hams are there?
    Bill KC7JTY

There arent thousands of hams freebanding, Bill. But there are a whole bunch of CB freebanders like you who got their ham ticket and are too stupid to stop freebanding! Duh duh duh dumb...... [​IMG]

3. N6HBJ

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ Mar. 14 2003,00:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I spend a lot of time listening on my general coverage receiver. Its not difficult to determine who are seasoned hams and who are not regardless of what band they are on. There is a different flavor on the freeband which makes it interesting to listen to. I also spend time listening on the HF amateur bands. Are you going to accuse me of transmitting there because I know what goes on there?
     I think you'd better watch your safety valve doesn't pop. 4 posts at me in a row? How often are you checking the site?
                                         KC7JTY[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Dude, you are digging yourself a bigger and bigger hole. If I were you I would just go away. NO ONE will take your side code or no-code. You already admitted to being a freebander. Stop trying to backpeddle.

4. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

K3OGL: Evidently you are too young to have an opinion....especially if it is one that N6HBJ disagrees with. I knew "I" was a second class citizen but it must also include the "young" general class hams as well.

KG4RUL: Maybe "radio123us" IS a wanna be without a callsign. It wouldn't surprise me even though he has all the trappings of a "real" ham.

Don't let these guys get to you. I have been listening to it for 8 years now. They are on the sinking ship of morse as a requirement and they know it. The fact that the 13 & 20 wpm requirements are now history has pained them more than the future loss of the 5 wpm requirement will.
    KC7JTY

5. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

Dear "radio123us":
    I don't know.......I've got a strong feeling you are probably one of those staunch pro code no coders...just like KB9YKY. Prove me wrong blabber boy.
    KC7JTY

6. N6HBJ

KC7JTY, your an illegal operator. No one will give you respect here.

7. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

I still think "radio123us" is a no coder.
    KC7JTY

8. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

"radio123us" fits a syndrome of hams who are no coders but who maniacally support the morse code requirement. There are quite a few of these people. It somehow makes them feel like they are part of the thing that they can never attain.
    KC7JTY

9. N7CIA

N7CIA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (n0doz @ Feb. 28 2003,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This thread has been a hoot.
    Count me as one who really doesn't care if they keep code or not.  I do care if we keep our bands, though.  You know, if we keep people out of the hobby, then there won't be a hobby.  Any of you have any idea how much the commercial interests would pay for our spectrum?  Billions.  Any one got that kind of money here?  Didn't think so.  So the idea is to get people to be hams - get it?  It's called strength in numbers.
    I also don't think much of the tired CB arguments.  The ones ranting about that one certainly "write" like CBers, so they must "talk" like them, too.  Learning code apparently does not give a person manners or maturity, it doesn't clean up your mouth, and it doesn't keep you from sounding foolish.  Get over it.
    Another point:  This is a hobby.   A hobby is something you do when you aren't doing something more important.  People are a lot busier these days.  Everyone's working two or more jobs, they put in longer hours at each, the skills required for advancement take time to learn.... it's a different world from back when you had to go down to the FCC.  People don't have the time or energy to be jumping through hazing hoops for what's supposed to be a leisure activity, especially when technology is threatening to leave this hobby behind.  Now, that's something to say "DUH" about.
    I've wasted enough time on the computer, so in conclusion, I'll be looking for the "for sale" ads from the ones that'll turn in their tickets when code is eliminated.  Don't let the door hit you on the way out...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is one of the BEST Post's I have seen in here.
    Maybe we should Keep the code and DO AWAY with part of the HF Band.. Since noone will be using them.
    (For those that don't realize, I don't want the bands gone)
    Remember the 220 Band Plans??

Anyhow, I have to agree 100% here. Let's leave the "Private Country Club" and realize this is a HOBBY, for ALL WALKS OF LIFE.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

W9ZFX, you are a hoot ! There are 10 year olds
    that have their extra ticket, so please don't complain
    that HF is a "Private Country Club".  Anyone who takes
    the time to study can get their HF ticket easily.
    RADIO123, you are right about KC7JTY, his posts
    are a joke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.