SST created amazing activity

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WB2WIK, Jan 10, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SST starts in about ~20 minutes and 20 Meters seems to be open.

2. N7TAT

N7TAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SST is fun. But what saddens me with all the contents and events is that it seems to have resulted in CW operations being concentrated during these events leaving less folks on the air at other times.

3. W4HAY

20 was definitely open. West of the Rockies was good to go from East Tennessee with 5 watts and a dipole @ 35'.

Yeah, I know, not-so-humble brag, but trying to get more of you guys to take part. LINK
    The next one is Monday morning at 0000Z (Sunday evening here).

4. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Over this side of the Atlantic it was like the dodo. Nothing heard at all, which matches my SOTA-chasing experience at present. Sometimes there's a chance to catch a North American SOTA station from here in the hour or so after local sunset, but past that time chances fade fast.

DD5RK likes this.
  5. W4HAY

Have you checked the ionographs for your area and the US?
    Use THIS LINK and find a station near you, then check their latest data (it's updated several times an hour).
    Eric KL7AJ is the local guru on ionosondes. He has a thread here and an article in QST on how to use the data to predict (well, kinda) propagation. Perhaps he'll check in and help you out.

6. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

in the evening and at night FoF2 was less than 3 MHz in Northern Germany, not so far away from GB.

Rüdiger
    DD5RK

7. W4HAY

Where did you get your info? GIRO for some reason quit updating their ionogram plots around 0400Z yesterday.
    GIRO link: https://giro.uml.edu/didbase/

8. DD5RK

DD5RK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Ionosonde Juliusruh

look at the date and time.

[​IMG]

Rüdiger
    DD5RK

9. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to look at Propquest ( http://www.propquest.co.uk/graphs.php ) which usually shows results from ionosondes near me (though it seems to have been down this weekend). It was working on Friday, however, and if you check the archive you'll see that by 2000z (when the contest started) even the 3000 km MUF was down below 14MHz, with fo F2 was somewhere south of 2MHz. I did tune up and down the suggested part of the 20 metre band anyway, but heard no signals at all.

10. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I missed the big SST, and haven't been on an SST since November but it is a fun contest. I am usually working during the Friday session and Sunday's can be hard. I actually had planned to get on tonight but lost track of time (common Sunday occurrence).

No doubt there are a lot of hams who like to make quick contest QSOs and only get on for the SST's and CWTs. Like I tell my wife, there is a contest every day.