SSD in Mac Mini - Wow!

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by N0TZU, Nov 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally got around to putting an SSD into the late 2012 Mac Mini in my ham shack. Wow! - should have done it a long time ago. The good news is that by waiting I was able to get a Crucial 1 GB for just over $100.

The only hangup was cloning the original HDD. I tried using Disk Utility to format (Erase), then clone (Restore), which should work, but I couldn't get the Restore function to accept the formatted SSD, even though it was correct for Catalina. So, I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner free version and it worked perfectly.

K3DCW likes this.
  2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Life's too short for mechanical hard drives. :)

I did the same thing for a 2012 Mac Mini a few years back. Made sure that I ordered my new Mini and my wife's new iMac with SSDs. It makes a world of difference.

N0TZU likes this.
  3. N0TZU

Yes and the cost is now very reasonable for non-enterprise SSD. My engineering career was in data storage so I’m familiar. I’d personally used hybrid SSD-mechanical drives because we made them, but not a full SSD until now.

Still can’t beat the cost of rotating for the bulk of online storage (with a front end of flash), though flash is getting much closer all the time.

K3DCW likes this.
  4. MRGRTT123

MRGRTT123 QRZ Member

I haven't tried setting up an SSD into my Mac Mini, now I am tempted to do it as it seems like it is life-changing.

5. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

NOTZU not sure if you are aware of SSD disadvantage or not. If not here goes. They have a limited number of times you can read/write unlike a HDD. With that in mind you only load your Operating System. and Apps on the SDD, and never ever defrag a SSD. Store your files and app data on HDD. That way you get the best of both worlds. You get the speed on boot-up and application loading time of the SSD, and the longevity of a HDD.

6. N0TZU

I’m very familiar as I said above. My electrical engineering career was in data storage.

With today’s flash devices and their internal algorithms, and proper use by modern OS, there isn’t much reason to run a hybrid system.

K3DCW and W7UUU like this.
  7. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Exactly. SSD technology has advanced to the point where the life of the typical high-quality SSD drive is effectively the same as the lifetime of the computer. Of course, if you go cheap on the SSD you're more likely to have issues. I have a NAS device with spinning 12TB drives, and the cost of mechanical can't be beat for that application, but for the Mac it is all SSD.

N0TZU likes this.
  8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was typing my response when you fired back.

N0TZU likes this.
  9. N2IW

N2IW Ham Member QRZ Page

These days, there is no reason to buy any computer that doesn't have an SSD in it, Mac or Windows PC.