SSB on 630m?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by KI6R, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: DLSpec-1
  1. KI6R

KI6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to run some SSB tests on the 630m band if anyone is interested and has USB capability. Clint, KA7OEI and I completed a SSB QSO last night at about 9:30 PM between DN40 in Utah and CM98 in California. We operated on 476.0 kHz USB. Signals were about 5/4 with static crashes and QSB taking out the audio at times. There is virtually no digital mode activity above 476.0 kHz so QRM to other band users is not a significant issue. I'm running a Flex-6300 and linear amplifiers and can reduce my transmit audio bandwidth to 1.8 kHz or less. A 2.4 or 2.7 kHz USB bandwidth exciter would not exceed the upper band edge of 479.0 if the signal is clean. I can be contacted at ki6rcm98@gmail.com

2. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you make some recordings, and post on, say, youtube?

3. KI6R

KI6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello James, sorry, I don't have any easy way to do that. The ssb sounded just like you'd expect on a noisy band with weak signals. Lightening crashes were taking the audio out and occasionally qsb faded the audio. It reminded me of 75m when the band has lightening noise.

4. WB5WPA

WB5WPA Ham Member QRZ Page

We work 160 a lot that way too - or at least we did a yr or two back for a couple years ... just taking a picture/phone vid might give a few of the new guys what they can expect is what I was thinking ...

W7UUU likes this.