SSB on 630m?

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by KI6R, Dec 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6R

KI6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to run some SSB tests on the 630m band if anyone is interested and has USB capability. Clint, KA7OEI and I completed a SSB QSO last night at about 9:30 PM between DN40 in Utah and CM98 in California. We operated on 476.0 kHz USB. Signals were about 5/4 with static crashes and QSB taking out the audio at times. There is virtually no digital mode activity above 476.0 kHz so QRM to other band users is not a significant issue. I'm running a Flex-6300 and linear amplifiers and can reduce my transmit audio bandwidth to 1.8 kHz or less. A 2.4 or 2.7 kHz USB bandwidth exciter would not exceed the upper band edge of 479.0 if the signal is clean. I can be contacted at ki6rcm98@gmail.com

WD4IGX and N1VAU like this.
  2. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you make some recordings, and post on, say, youtube?

3. KI6R

KI6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello James, sorry, I don't have any easy way to do that. The ssb sounded just like you'd expect on a noisy band with weak signals. Lightening crashes were taking the audio out and occasionally qsb faded the audio. It reminded me of 75m when the band has lightening noise.

KA0HCP and G6YYN like this.
  4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

We work 160 a lot that way too - or at least we did a yr or two back for a couple years ... just taking a picture/phone vid might give a few of the new guys what they can expect is what I was thinking ...

K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  5. W0LEV

W0LEV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is some limited activity on 630-meters here in N. Colorado and the Denver area. I have all the blocks of a DSB surpressed carrier transmitter to at least 100-watts "IF" I ever get motivated to mount and interconnect all the functional blocks.

Dave - W├śLEV

6. WB8VLC

WB8VLC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was listening to you guys using a K3S with my hillbilly 630 meter mod along with my a modified W6LVP loop antenna.

Copy was good 52 to 53 with the W6LVP loop which worked fine at nulling out a substantial amount of local noise from a power substation 2 miles north of me.

One of these days or months I may find the time to get a transmitter going on 476 ssb or cw but this has been fun just listening to guys on 476KHz.

I also logged a beacon, WB6ZBX/B somewhere to the south of me around 478 KHz on Dec 7th at 02:25 UTC here in Salem, Or.

When I am at home I usually leave the K3S on 476 K now with a bluetooth speaker so if anything comes in I won't miss it.

What is most interesting for me is that since being licensed in May of 1975 I have never ever been on 160 meters and only a couple of times have I been on 75/80 meters since 1975.

It seems that I jumped from 60 meters bypassing 75/80 and 160 altogether in favor of 630 meters, albeit only in RX and listening for now but still it has sparked my interest in VLF operation.

WD4IGX, N3RYB and KA0HCP like this.