SSB in lower portion of 40 cw - early a.m.

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K3PI, Apr 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

On the left coast we hear lots of Asia on SSB on 40. Quite strong at times, too.

WB5YUZ likes this.
  2. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

While it is possible you heard foreign hams, you much more likely heard fishing boat captains. Down here they mostly speak Spanish so we call them "peskies," short for "pescadores."

I imagine on the Pacific Coast they hear quite a few Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc. fishing boat captains on 40m, but a lot of the SSB in the CW bands these days seems to come from unlicensed CB-style operations in Oceania. I'm no expert, but I think I often hear Malaysian and/or Indonesian. At least some of them chant prayers that really sound like the ones I used to hear on Radio Republic Indonesia.

These guys apparently run a lot of power and are one of the reasons we don't hear as many Japanese and Australians on 40m CW in the early mornings as we used to - they are so loud on the other side of the Pacific that it is frustrating for JAs and VKs trying to hear us W/Ks over the intentional jamming, chanting, music, etc.

3. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to hear them a lot when I was in England, though they were British. The special dictionary was in use there as well.

4. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard the station on 7070 LSB again just a couple nights ago. Again, don't know if it's a licensed ham or peskies as I don't speak Spanish. But it seems like it's a regular freq for whoever's using it.

5. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 Technical Discussion Net

-

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

7070 and 7075 LSB Used to be the main Caribbean and South America frequencies Since the band become available after WW2/ before FT8 run everyone off.

Now 7095
    Even Puerto Rican stations can operate there. I think

K0UO/V31KW

WB5YUZ likes this.