ssb help

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KF5GDS, Apr 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice setup.

An example of how important the antenna system is...

Back in NJ in the 80s I was very active on VHF SSB-CW. On 2m, I had four stacked yagis at about 70 feet, fed with 7/8 inch hardline. I'd routinely work stations 400-500 miles away, like every day, and most of my 'neighbors,' who were other guys active on 2m SSB wouldn't hear any of this and literally thought I was just talking to myself. Of course, one by one they were invited to visit and one by one they'd walk away saying, 'holy crap -- those stations really are there.':p

Most of those signals were very weak...often S0 to S1, just above the noise; if I lowered my tower down to 40 feet, half the weak signals would disappear altogether and I couldn't hear them, either.

2. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

About two years ago I decided to get back on 6M SSB, since my first exploration into VHF was on 6M am with a Heathkit "lunchbox" back in the late 60s.
    I got the MFJ 8 Watt SSB radio and a 4 element Hygain Yagi. I could work some long hauls during contests , out as far west as the Rockies, and south to Florida and the Carolinas then East to Atlantic Canada, but could barely get a few locals 20 miles away who were using HF+6M rigs and HF tiibanders with tuners. They usualy could not hear me and visa versa.
    Druing contests the big guns with the real high antennas are coming out of hiding.
    I just had the Yagi Up 25 ft and see no way to rlaise it so I am thinking of giving up and selling off the 6M setup now.

3. KF5GDS

KF5GDS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the info , I forgot to tell you that I'm under HOA rules / regulations , so stacking antennas or raising them any higher than what I have is forbidden and punishable by death! I hate this HOA stuff , I didn't realize it when we were buying this place but I regret it now. It's a nice area and the kids love it here and we have a home so I really can't complain.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then, do what you can. But don't forget about portable operations. In many places, it's pretty easy to find a hilltop, mountaintop or wide open area where you can set up in 10 minutes and have a killer weak-signal VHF operation. Around here, lots of hams do that and it's much more successful than home operations.

5. KD5YAQ

KD5YAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was active, I used a 711 for a started rig, and believe it or not I had a blast with it. Then I used an 897D which was good with a little help from a Tokyo Hy Power amplifier and then later an Icom 746 pro. It is true what other say though. Get the BEST antenna system you can afford. Meaning height, *feedline* and the antenna itself. Even the connector quality can make a difference. But the feedline quality is often overlooked. As you go up in frequency, you cannot "get away" with things you could at HF.

6. W8JX

W8JX Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not really possible to have too much antenna for VHF/UHF SSB or even FM simplex. Money spent there is well spent.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eskip season has started on 6. Check out PSKReporter - when the band is open for Eskip, you should be able to make lots of contacts on 6 with even a simple, low antenna. Being in Texas does afford you some extra possibilities. Even a low-profile antenna like a Squalo should work for E.