ad: wmr-1

SSB advice please

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB3HAA, Jul 31, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This does sound like a tuning or LSB/USB issue.

2. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with the others here, the IC-718 sounds pretty good on SSB, I was thinking about hooking mine up again now that I have the mag loop to use as a SW Receiver.

Tune slow on the correct sideband and unless something is wrong with the rig or your settings are really wrong you should be grand.

3. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Make sure you are on the same mode USB/LSB. 73 Rich

4. VK4XJB

VK4XJB Ham Member QRZ Page

2 things that come to mind. Make sure the correct side band is being selected. The other is people who will only tune to the nearest kHz or even the nearest 0 or 5kHz. Had enough people over the years who would go to the nearest 0 or 5kHz then complain people are off frequency and hard to understand instead of tuning to the actual frequency in use. Don't have a clue what you are like that regard but it happens enough it is one of the 1st things that comes to mind when someone has trouble understanding ssb.

Assuming the radio is ok it should just be a matter of selecting the appropriate mode and adjust the vfo for best sounding voice while ignoring the frequency display.

With others mentioning lsb for 40m and down and usb for 30m and up those are not rules but only convention. There will be times the "wrong" side band will get used. Anywhere from being bored to testing to someone in the group using commercial gear that does not do lsb. Then you will find the people who can not handle this and resort to unidentified swearing or outright deliberate interference for the great crime of using usb on 40m.

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

THANK YOU....... I NEEED THAT .........

========= animated-laughing-image- mouse.gif
    =============BWL
    BUSTING WITH LAUGHTER

HAVE A HAPPY FUN FILLED
    WEEKEND.

73 - K1LKP

NL7W likes this.
  6. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

This sounds silly, but are you sure you aren't using the narrow CW filter?

I have found with my old FT301, that tuning SSB with the radio in the CW position, then trying to resolve it by adjusting the clarifier sounds similar to what you describe.
    As the filters on the FT301 are automatically switched with the mode, this is is fairly hard to do, whereas more versatile radios may allow the use of the CW filter in the SSB modes.

7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That crowd is truly the cesspool of amateur radio. I can honestly say I have never tuned to 7200, I would not give them the dignity of listening. I have run across some of the occupants higher up on 40 bringing their ignorance tagging along. They should all be stripped of licenses. 73 Rich

K1LKP likes this.
  8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was my thought. That would be one thing for him to check.

9. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, when tuning, there's no need to look at the dial. If you're a little bit off frequency, then they might sound, well, squeaky. Slowly tune the dial until they stop being squeaky. At that point, you can look at the dial. If the number doesn't end in a zero, don't worry about it.

10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Screenshot_20200801-141957.png