Sr. Citizen Questions: MAC sw Programs ?

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by BOBR, Feb 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. BOBR

BOBR QRZ Member

Hello,

Sr. Citizen now, very, but still enjoy sw listening very much.
    Have a JRC NRD 545 and also a WinRadio G3 Excalibur which is what I use mainly.

I switched over to the MAC world, as I have had it with all the problems I've had
    using a Dell and an HP on Windows.

Am happy with my new iMac, but-
    And, it's a really big "but"-

Am dismayed to see that there are no radio related programs for the MAC. At least none that I could find.
    Or, apparently, any OS APPS. Lots of APPS, but it seems only for the iOS used by the iPhone, etc; not a MAC.

I am not a HAM. Only do a lot of sw listening.
    I do no logging.

What I would hope to learn from you folks is the following, please:

a. I used to run my WinRadio Excalibur (under Windows) using that super program called CSVUserListBrowser.
    Used it to control the Excalibur, and to have all the eibi, etc. schedules right there, and tuneable.

Is there "anything" even remotely similar for the MAC ?

b. Is there anything that I can use to be able to hear sw programs on the MAC ?
    e.g., any on-line radios, etc. ?
    Anything ?

c. and the same question, but for the aero frequencies and conversations ?

Would sure appreciate any and all suggestions.

I can, of course, use Parallels, and set up a Windows 10 partition on the MAC, but would really
    much rather be able to run things on the MAC side.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. N2ERN

N2ERN Ham Member QRZ Page

You do not have to run Parallels, dual boot or partition to run most Win software on the Mac. I run an app named CROSSOVER 17. Cheap and does the job.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps you have already investigated these, but just in case:

There are a number of shortwave schedule sites on the web, which of course is independent of OS. There are also a number of SDR web sites that let you tune a remote Software Defined Radio to any frequency you wish and listen.

If you want a local program, a quick Google search turned up "Radio Explorer" which is a SW schedule program that is compatible with Mac OS, Linux and Win. There may be more, I don't have time to look further. Good luck.

4. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

If you do decide to use Windows on the Mac side, just an unpaid endorsement: We ran Parallels for a few years but then switched to VMWare's Fusion Windows emulator at work (and on my Mac at home); we've had much better user and customer service experience with VMWare.

5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I use Fusion also. Works very well and I easily run Windows in a window (!) on my Mac mini desktop.

The only annoyance I have is with the seemingly endless Windows updates but that has nothing to do with Fusion.

WD0BCT likes this.
  6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The price of MS OS....

7. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Welcome to macOS! I've been using it since Panther back around 2003.

Much of what you want might be on the web, in which case you don't need any apps:

Shortwave and public service schedule guides:
    Remote radios and SWL stations online:
    I know nothing about the WinRadio Excalibur but a quick google search found this app:
    The serious SDR I own is the RF Space Cloud IQ which works very very well on my iMac:
    Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer or give pointers. My email is good on here.

73, Elwood, WB0OEW

8. BOBR

BOBR QRZ Member

Hi Elwood,

Thanks for all the Links and help.
    Much appreciated.

Have never played with the on-line receivers, but will take a serious look at them
    now.

I contacted WinRadio, and there is no software for my Excalibur for the MAC.
    But, I can run it on my MAC using the Parallels program.
    But just not directly, or "cleanly".

Thanks, and regards,
    Bob