Square Aluminum Tubing

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by K2ICC, Nov 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2ICC

K2ICC Ham Member QRZ Page

I am having problems with vendors and delivery of a mast or aluminum products. A local vendor can deliver a square 2" x 2" and 24' long aluminum tubing. I am trying to use a tilt base such as the
    DX Engineering Tilt Base Antenna Mounting Systems DXE-TB-7P or similar. The antenna on it will be a Comet CA-52HB4. Has anyone used square tubing for this?

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The 52HB4 is a beam. Where are you going to put the rotator?

And you're planning a simple tilt base made for a low-load vertical antenna to raise and support 6m beam atop at 24 foot mast?

3. K2ICC

My plan was to keep the antenna oriented to the north, as we have a weekly net on 6 meters and almost everyone is to the north of me. Later on would add a rotator.
    Now, local vendor only have square tubing and can deliver at better cost. For example, one brand on a telescopic mast is 100$ and 165$ for shipping. The same gauge size of metal in another vendor is 145$ and 45$ shipping, as it is in smaller sections, so shipping charges are lower on on regular UPS, etc.

Now, A local vendor has the square one all in one 24' piece for 200$ and delivered, but never used square tubing before, and wanted to see if any other has done it. Thanks.

4. WB2WIK

Square tubing is fine and I've used it.

It's best to change the U-bolts that secure it from "U" shape (round) to the squared-off kind of U-bolts to securely clamp it. Those are readily available from good hardware suppliers. Using the "rounded" U-bolts with square tubing digs into the tubing corners and weakens the tubing.

But the DXE tilt plate was never intended to support a 24' mast with a beam on top of it. I'd think the mast will require guying once vertical.

Edit: If you're unfamiliar with square U-bolts, they're readily available at trailer shops and good hardware stores, but they're like this: Amazon.com: National Hardware N222-364 2192 Square U Bolts in Zinc, #535-5/16"x2"x5" : Industrial & Scientific

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  5. K2ICC

Good point there. Thanks a lot for the help.

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Everybody's having problems with attaining materials this year

K2ICC and PU2OZT like this.
  7. KA5SDC

KA5SDC Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee...wonder why that could be???

PU2OZT likes this.
  8. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One issue I've seen with square aluminum tubing from a non-DXE source is that even though the specs say they will telescope, reality would rear its ugly head. There seemed to always be one side that was either just a hair too wide or one side of the opening would be just a hair too small. The best choice would be to mill it down to fit but we made do with a belt sander followed by a 2# hammer.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

10. WB2WIK