ad: Anwtowers-1

Sputnik Stories?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8MRS

K8MRS Ham Member QRZ Page

October 4, 1957 will always be remembered as the starting event for the 'Space race'. The old Soviet Union set the 'bench mark'.
    As a 13 year old, I had watched the Friday night DRAGNET program which concluded at 9:00 PM.
    Next a special large "Sounds From Outer Space" NBC network announcement appeared on our B & W television screen. The NBC announcer told every watcher they would next hear the now famous beacon signal.
    My entry into SWL had started the prior Christmas (1956) with the Allied Radio 'Space Spanner' regen receiver. Unfortunately the Space Spanner would only receive signals up to 18 Megacycles.
    At the next following local Amateur Radio Club a now deceased member (W8EUT) brought an audio recording of this beacon signal off of his Collins receiver.
    The small Sputnik I satellite was using a beacon both near 20 Mcs. and the 2nd harmonic at 40 Mcs.

Happy '60' th. Anniversary ! Gordon , K8MRS (starting my 60th yr of licensing 10-16-17)
    Posted at 8:15 PM 10-04-17

2. W8IXI

W8IXI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As a follow up to my first comment in this thread I would only say that we caught up dramatically,
    as my college diploma was handed to me in 1970 with a firm handshake from Neil Armstrong.

73, Mike

N4AAB likes this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a duck named Sputnik years ago. Lived many years.

4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They claim to have intercepted transmissions. When examined carefully, though, these claims evaporate like the morning dew. The reason in part is the same reason the Moon hoax claims are so silly. The U.S. government was monitoring the hell out of Russian mission communications and they were doing the same thing to us. If they'd lost manned spacecraft and tried to cover it up, we'd have seen to it that the word leaked out, and so would they. It was the Cold War, and anything that appeared to give advantage was used. ;)

KB4QAA and N2EY like this.
  5. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

COOL!

It took the USA about 8 or 9 years to catch up to the Soviet Union (1957 to 1965 or 66). But we did.

One reason the USA won the Space Race was Operation Paperclip - we recovered more German rocket engineers, documents and rockets than the Soviets did. Another was that the Soviet Union's Chief Designer, Sergei Korolev, died in 1966 at the age of 59.

73 de Jim, N2EY

6. DF1HX

DF1HX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    20110713-0032
    by Thomas Krull, auf Flickr

Pruefstand VII at Peenemuende, Usedom Island (Northeast Germany at border to Poland)
    From here the first man-made missile, a V2 rocket, reached the frontiers of space Oct 3rd 1942 (Almost exactly 75 years ago)​

W4NNF and N4AAB like this.
  7. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Let us never forget WHY it was built and launched. It wasn't to explore space.

And let us never forget the slave workers forced to build them.

DF1HX likes this.