Sputnik Stories?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry - but that sort of stuff is pure BS. Con-artist stuff. The rebuttals in those articles prove it.

When Vladimir Komarov died on April 24, 1967, at the end of the Soyuz 1 flight, due to a parachute malfunction, his death was not covered up. He got a full dress funeral and his ashes placed in a place of highest honor. He was the first person to go into space twice and the first to die on a spaceflight (blunt force trauma when his spacecraft hit the ground at almost 90 mph).

In fact, two years later, when Apollo 11 went to the moon, a memorial to him was left on the lunar surface.

The plain truth is that the Soviets did a lot of amazing stuff at the start of the Space Age. But then Sergei Korolev died.

73 de Jim, N2EY

W4NNF likes this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

I strongly suspect that, for each Soviet success there were a number of failures. A number of persons, primarily in Europe, intercepted various radio transmissions that indicated failure but were not acknowledged by the Soviet Union.

Conversely, here in the United States, every failure was widely publicized. If there is any real criticism of the U.S. efforts, it was that we were too cautious.

Glen, K9STH

KM1H and N4AAB like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Why? Sure there were some failures - but the successes far exceeded them.

Two Italian brothers CLAIMED to have intercepted such transmissions. That's all. They made recordings which are clearly fakes.

I suspect that a number of American persons simply don't want to accept that the Soviets were able to do what they did, early on, and want to discredit their achievements. But since the breakup of the Soviet Union and the release of many previously secret records, we know that the claims of "lost cosmonauts" and such are simply not true at all.

And here's the Big Thing:

You can bet your bippy that after October 4, 1957, both sides had a LOT of resources listening for and looking for space missions by the other side. Both would have loved to have caught the other in a lie or omission. But that never happened - because each side knew the other was watching.

N2UHC likes this.
  4. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just remember my parents dwelling over whether to sell "Sputnik" bubble gum in our store in the late 1950s. They we powder blue gumballs with some kind of rough outer coating. At the time, we moved off of our dairy farm and my parents bought a "corner grocery store". It would be much like one of today's 7-11 stores, except that we lived in the back, and my hamshack was in the basement. We were across the street from one of the two public high schools in our county and city. Thus, we were also a penny candy and "pop" store.

I came from a mixed marriage of a Pole and and Finn, where both families of fled from the Russians/Soviets. The Russians/Soviets were not real popular in our family and neighborhood.

My parents did decide to sell the penny Sputnik gum balls.

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

EY:

There have been a couple of cable television shows about the Italians that have come to the conclusion that most, if not all, of their recordings were accurate. Of course, there are those who consider the recordings fake. In the same programs, there have been others mentioned who also received signals from the Soviet space programs.

As far as failures: During the Cold War, the Soviets did everything possible to conceal anything related to the military including their space program. After stopping the U-2 flights over the Soviet Union, our intelligence was greatly reduced and, as such, there were a lot of things that happened to which we had no real information. There were a lot of failures in our space program and those were made public because of the location of Cape Canaveral where anyone could watch the launches. It was not the same in the Soviet Union.

I cannot believe that there were very few failures in the Soviet space program. One of the reasons that they got a satellite in space before this country was the "system" in place at the time. They were able to force personnel to work, basically, around the clock whereas, in this country, it was an 8-hour day. The Soviets were also able to conceal their failures from not only their population but from the world at large. Therefore, the Soviet space program was not hampered by any outside forces.

One of the primary reasons that Sputnik was launched was for the propaganda effect of just having "something" in space. Then, one of the frequencies chosen for the transmissions was 20.005 MHz, which was very near the WWV frequency of 20.000 MHz. The WWV signal was easy to locate and, therefore, finding the Sputnik signal was very easy. They were using a United States facility to their own benefit.

It did not take that long for the United States to "catch up" to the Soviet program and then to exceed that program. Unfortunately, because of political forces, the United States has lost its edge in the space program. Things like abandoning the space shuttle program have worked against us to now we are relying on the Russians to ferry our astronauts to the space station. Frankly, we need to "step up" our efforts and to regain a substantial lead in science, etc.

Glen, K9STH

KM1H and N4AAB like this.
  6. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I never put much stock into the claims myself. It's just yet another conspiracy theory circling the internet.

N2EY likes this.
  7. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm quite certain that the U.S. government would have had listening posts which would have been a lot more elaborate than a couple of Italian amateurs. If there had been "lost cosmonauts" we definitely would have known about it, and there's no reason for any U.S. intelligence agencies to have kept it quiet.

And this is a major reason the "we never went to the moon" claims are all totally bogus. There would have been absolutely no benefit for the Soviet Union to participate in a hoax.

N2EY likes this.
  8. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

The recordings are fake. We know this for a fact.

Sure. But that does not mean the claims of the Italian brothers are true.

Nobody is saying there were very few failures overall.

The problem is the false claim that the Soviet Union covered up failed manned launches that resulted in cosmonauts dying in space. These claims are pure BS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Cosmonauts

Not really.

There were two primary reasons the Soviets got into space first:

1) The USA did not put a huge priority on getting into space first, because those in charge believed the Soviets didn't have anything close to what was needed. At least not in 1957. The American programs - there were several - were proceeding with the expectation of launching a satellite as part of the International Geophysical Year (IGY) (July 1 1957 to December 31 1958 - yes, a "year" that was 18 months long). It was not a top priority. And the goal was met with the launch of Explorer 1 (Feb 1, 1958)

OTOH the Soviets put a very high priority on their program, and beat the USA to the punch. Not just with Sputnik 1 but with following flights.

2) There were those in the USA, such as Wehrner Von Braun, who wanted the space program to have a higher priority. But they were held back by the Eisenhower Administration, because they were concerned about the political impact of orbiting a satellite over territories such as the Soviet Union and Red China, without their explicit approval. Particularly when the U-2 flights (which penetrated Soviet air space until May 1960) were going on. When the Soviets launched Sputnik 1, they opened the door.

Which was a smart move!

But....tell the rest of the story....

Sputnik I was a 23 inch ball with antennas that weighed 184 pounds, transmitted some basic data for 3 weeks and then went silent. The Soviets provided information about Sputnik 1 before the launch but it was generally ignored in the West - until they actually did it.

Sputnik II was a much larger satellite (1121 pounds) that carried a dog into orbit and transmitted more data. Sputnik II was launched less than a month after Sputnik I.

There were many more. Some failed. But Sputnik 1 was not a one - off stunt.

What do you consider "not that long"? The Soviets were in the lead in pretty much all things space related, manned and unmanned, until at least 1965. That's 8 years.

The "political forces" are simply dollars. Space programs, particularly manned ones, are very expensive. They're also risky, even today.

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers"

Glen, K9STH
    [/QUOTE]

9. KG4LLQ

KG4LLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]
    I was a 13 year old kid living in a Jacksonville, Florida suburb when sputnik was launched. It was all over the news and the local newspaper "Florida Times-Union" posted the times it would be over head. I remember many kids in my neighborhood laid blankets on my parents front yard and we laid down and looked and looked into the night time sky. Finally a tiny pin prick of a light appeared overhead and moved across the sky. It was a magical experience to actually see a man-made object in the sky. All the dads, with either bourbon or scotch in their hands were discussing how the Russians were going to take us over and the anger and fear was propelled as more bourbon and scotch was consumed. What an evening. I am now 71 years old and can still remember that night.

N2EY likes this.
  10. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

KB4QAA, N2UHC and N2EY like this.