Sputnik Stories?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

dupe

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My old man, W4SLJ--long SK--fired up his Super Pro and let all the neighbors listen one evening. I had to be shushed because I started running from room to room hollering "BEEP-BEEP-BEEP!" I was about the age I was in my avatar photo. We later, on a subsequent clear night, watched it cross the sky. Years later, I realized what we'd likely seen was the much brighter discarded carrier rocket, but still...

3. K5JYD

K5JYD Ham Member QRZ Page

I was 18 at the time . I remember how shocked the country was and how scared some were. We thought we were the smartest people on earth but we were wrong. Very shocking.

K3RLD and N2EY like this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Being just a squirt in 1957, we would lay out on the grass in the front yard and wait for the 'russki' sat to pass. Tucson at the time had little in the way of light pollution, so we saw 'it' - something orbiting.

My Uncle - former USAF - was the one who let me 'in' on the FOBS issue. There was some concern...but the Cuban affair made it a nightmare. Tucson hosted both a SAC airbase and 2 Titan sqnds - IOW we were living inside an atomic "bulls-eye"

Scary times indeed.

5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

a relative had been in the air force for a couple of years and during october, 1957 his wife was getting near her birthing date.
    he decided to name the child (gender unknown at that time) sputnik to mark that great event (well, both were great events, snort). the word got around to his c.o. and he was soon on the carpet, being told that if he gave his kid a commie name he would be summarily cashiered with no va benefits.
    the name became 'starr'.

homer hickam wrote an autobio, 'rocket boys', about the influence sputnik had on his life. it became a film, 'october sky'.

6. N4AAB

N4AAB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@KA0USE, I like your avatar. Have you seen the Anime ?

7. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A group of us nerdy kids built a super regenerative receiver (I think out of popular electronics) to listen to sputnik. It was great!

8. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

I was born three days after it stopped transmitting.

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The avatar is me, sitting in front of my dad's HRO receiver a few years prior to 1957. I remember Dad listening to Sputnik. I more clearly remember listening to OSCAR I four years later on a converted surplus receiver. Outer space was the rage at the time, and we kids were all 'space cadets'. We have home movies of my brothers and I in our 'sputnik helmets' - that looked like they had antennas on them.

K9ASE likes this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

i got all the cowboy bebop anime films from the library. radical edward is my fave. didn't think anyone would catch it. i'm a little/lot strange, depending on who you ask.