Sputnik Stories?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0IS, Sep 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem with including the story in your blog. However, please do not edit, etc., the "copy".

I almost always allow reprinting of my articles, etc., especially those on my website, provided that the text is not going to be used in a commercial publication, etc. If that is the case, then I want a "piece of the pie" and get paid for the usage. Otherwise, so long as the article is not edited, etc., and that I am given full credit for the article, then I have absolutely no objection to the reprinting of the information.

Glen, K9STH

2. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. I'll send you another copy with your material included. I did just a little bit of minor editing, but I'll let you make sure it's OK.

3. W4IOA

W4IOA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sputnik was a little before I was born but I was alive for most of the space race and remember much of it. I do remember that in the early 60s I got a record off the back of a cereal of the Sputnik recording and thought that was cool.

4. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure it wasn't a record that was inside National Geographic magazine? I had a similar record, and remember listening to those beeps. The one I had supposedly had a snippet of the announcement from Radio Moscow. For some reason, I still remember the snippet of "Odelie Moskva". I have no idea what "odelie" meant, but I remember it!

W7JZE and W4IOA like this.
  5. W9AFB

W9AFB Ham Member QRZ Page

Sputnik was well before my time, but more recently during my college days I was searching for early space related history. This happened to be at the University of Illinois in Champaign-Urbana. I stumbled across some Sputnik recordings and to my surprise discovered that they were recorded down the street from where I was sitting!

I'm searching for that source, but in the meantime have this for you.
    https://www.ece.illinois.edu/about/history/reminiscence/space.asp

edit:
    I think this is what I remember hearing

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I found that record here, and they're saying "Godarit Moskva."

Edited: Make that "govarit." One more of those nagging mysteries solved, now that we have that internet thingie: " Yet, during all those years away from Moscow, his reports began with his trademark "Attention, Moscow is speaking!" (Russian: Внимание, говорит Москва!)"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Levitan

I also apparently know the name of that voice from that record, Yuri Levitan.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    WF7A, W7JZE and W4IOA like this.
  7. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I did not hear it, but saw it.
    Years later , after reading an interesting book whose title OF forgot , I discovered that what we observed slowly traversing the night sky with sort of slow flashing intensity was actually the satellite cover(s).
    What a downer.

But it makes perfect sense - rotating satellite ball would reflect the light pretty steady in comparison to flopping sheet of metal.

On top of that - it was no scientific experiment, just military "we can do it " demo.
    I doubt the satellite was deliberately spinning at all.

Another (interesting) tidbit - since it was not scientific event they had no means or plans to "track it" , hence picked a frequency close to ham band and then had amateur radio operators do the tracking for them !

Of course we will never know if the "rest of the story" is for real or by today's standard "fake news".

What is really amazing, to me, compare Saturn V to Sputnik.
    Even comparing Sputnik to "grapefruit size" Vanguard as Nikita khrushchev did...

In this unintentional " space race ", the size did matter.

Glad it all happened in my lifetime.

73 Shirley

W7JZE likes this.
  8. WD5GWY

WD5GWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I was 6 years old at the time. Living in Weatherford, TX. Stood outside for several nights and finally spotted it going overhead. Our neighbors were there and
    everyone was looking for it too. I was the first one to see it. Got a nickname of "hawkeye" for a while! (now, just have one good eye!)
    That along with the monster computer in the basement of one of the local banks, sparked my interest in electronics.
    Hard to believe it was so many years ago. How time flies! And how far Satellites have advanced!
    james
    WD5GWY

W7JZE likes this.
  9. KN1M

KN1M Ham Member QRZ Page

Arthur C. Clarke predicted satellite communication I think in 1937, 6 years B4 I was born. I remember the Sputnik launch but do not remember it making much of an impression on me. What did, eventually, was the Cuban missile crisis. THAT got my attention!

K9ASE likes this.
  10. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

I was already a General in 57 and heard them fine on a HQ-129X and a 15M folded dipole up about 18'. I was only 4 blocks from the HS so several hams with entry level radios and non hams came over to listen. Many of us also saw it on a clear day. This was the era of Cycle 19 so it didnt take much to hear it. It was exciting at the time but soon that faded just as that video game Pong was in the 80's which was developed by an engineer where I worked at Sanders Associates, a leading edge Defense contractor.

Retired from a life of high tech and still hamming.

Carl