ad: elecraft

Spurious Signal Interferes with IC-9700 VFO

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by AD0HT, Feb 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. AD0HT

AD0HT Ham Member QRZ Page

This signal is sweeping the 2 meter band in my area and has been well discussed locally - keying repeaters as it sweeps...

It also upsets my IC-9700 vfo... No one has claimed responsibility for this attack on my vfo :)
    Interestingly, it does not upset my FT2980 or IC-706mkIIg's VFOs

2. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW! That is wild. Are you setup to receive CI-V data from an accessory port or something? I wonder if that tone is just enough to trigger the radio into thinking it's getting a control signal from a computer?

3. AD0HT

No extra stuff. Just radio and antenna on receive, but it is not in a factory reset condition so ..... 9700 was in VFO mode here, but when in memory mode as the signal sweeps by it will also sometimes (dependant on sweep rate) change the VFO in memory mode as well.

Not just me showing this effect. The 2m bullies are out :),

I have a lot of video of this signal floating about and causing trouble. I can upload more if interest is there.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  4. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There’s an automatic frequency control I think for tuning CW, maybe you have that enabled?

KK4CUL likes this.
  5. KK4CUL

KK4CUL Ham Member QRZ Page

That would make more sense than my guess that it's being possessed by CI-V demons over IP....

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Wanted...

upload_2020-3-1_17-9-57.jpeg

7. AD0HT

Thank for the input (most anyhow :) ) I had the Doppler Automatic Frequency Control (AFC) feature on. Did not realize this and took me a bit to see the AFC on the screen....

On a side note - the spurious signal is still haunting the region.

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys with mobile setup and hand held Yagis out the window should be patroling the area looking for the source !

9. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup. The guys in my club would be drooling over an opportunity to track this down.

10. AD0HT