ad: cq2k-1

Spring VHF and UHF activity events!

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K6CLS, Mar 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

hey folks, Mike WB8BZK encouraged me to post this. Let's get on the air on VHF and make some QSOs!

The Central States VHF Society is proud to sponsor and announce the dates
    and times for the 2020 run of the VHF and up Spring Sprints!

144 MHz: Monday, 4/06/20 from 7 - 11 PM local, Exchange: 4 char grid

222 MHz: Tuesday, 4/14/20 from 7 - 11 PM local, Exchange: 4 char grid

432 MHz: Wednesday, 4/22/20 from 7 - 11 PM local, Exchange: 4 char grid

Microwave, 902 MHz and up: Saturday, 5/2/20 from 8 AM - 2 PM local,
    Exchange: 6 char grid

50 MHz: Saturday, 5/9/19 from 2300Z until 0300Z Sunday, 5/10/20, Exchange: 4
    char grid

Classes: Stations will be classified as either Single Op or Rover. A
    portable or mobile station that operates from only one grid is considered a
    Single Op station. A Rover must operate from at least 2 grid squares. All
    legal modes are welcome!

More information and rules are posted at:
    https://sites.google.com/site/springvhfupsprints/home

Kent O'Dell KA2KQM, Mike Metroka WB8BZK & Jon Platt W0ZQ

Central States VHF Society Spring Sprint Organizing Committee

WD4ELG likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Under the circumstances, I would believe 99.44% of all entries will be from "home" stations, and VERY few, if any, rovers.:( Then again, everyone has the same handicap, so the results may be interesting!

3. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to be on I'm going to do it from home ,CN88 Lake Stevens Wa
    KA7RRA

4. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

It was a good turn out this past Monday for 2m.

Be sure to come out for the other bands!

5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I plan to be on in some capacity for the 432Mhz Sprint, we'll see what I end up with antenna wise, still working that out. Have virtually no experience with contesting up 50Mhz so it will be interesting. I ended up working a single station in the 144Mhz sprint using a mag-mount, didn't know there was a sprint going on, just happened to be flip over to SSB, It was my first ever VHF SSB contact.

6. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

I can easily get on next Tuesday for 222MHz with both 25W FM vertical omni magmount, and 25W SSB horizontal 7el yagi (If If can figure out which way to point!). oohh for an amplifier on 222!

7. KN4ZKT

KN4ZKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats, I'm pretty sure there are some 2m SSB nets that going on weekly in that area. Also, don't be afraid to hop on 144.200 and call CQ.

8. WA9SVD

If the OTHER station was using SSB, chances are he/she was using a horizontally polarized antenna. Since your "mag mount" was probably vertically polarized, you experienced a (theoretical infinite) attenuation of 20-30 dB (in real life) due to the cross polarization. It's unfortunate, but understandable you didn't hear much SSB activity. In addition, 2 Meter SSB is often "weak signal," with "armchair copy" even if the "S Meter" doesn't budge, and many signals are near the noise.

An example: I can hit a 2 Meter repeater located about 12 miles from me with a H-T. (Obviously, vertically polarized rubber duck antenna.) On the other hand, with a 5 element Yagi (horizontally polarized) @ 20 feet pointed AT the repeater, I am "hit or miss' into the repeater with 35 watts.

9. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I am well aware of the advantages of using a horizontally polarized antenna for VHF/UHF weak signal modes. I didn't expect to really work anyone on SSB with just a mag-mount, I know K5TR and I know he has a big station and is running power, I was must less surprised that I could hear him and more impressed with his big antennas ability to pull out my obviously very weak signal, also helps that he is a great contest operator and does a lot of SSB contests and has really good ears for the weak signals. I have been planning to get real antennas for VHF/UHF SSB/Digital (And maybe CW at some point), I have spent the bulk of my ham career below 50Mhz (minus my first three years strictly on 2M FM).

10. WA9SVD

Sorry if I was "preaching to the choir," no insult was intended. In the meantime, can you possibly throw together even a (rotatable) dipole?