Spotting and logging heard contacts

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KD0JBO, Jun 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KD0JBO

KD0JBO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good afternoon,
    I've had my license for awhile now, but have been fairly inactive. Mostly due to the lack of contacts in my area. I have started trying to work more in the HF range with 10 and 6 meters. I have installed, and configured Ham Radio Deluxe watching and listening to the bands with activity.

My question is can I log spots that I hear, but is outside of my Technician license. I have been listening to these frequencies, and would love to see if I enter spot reports for heard contacts.

Thanks
    Robert
    KD0JBO

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can "spot" whatever you like, but it's more appropriate to actually complete a contact, and then simultaneously log it and "spot" it, if the contact is DX.

Don't "spot" domestic stations unless it's considered unusual or DX for that particular band. DX on 2 meters might be just a few hundred miles away, so this varies.

3. W6OGC

W6OGC Ham Member QRZ Page

You can log anything you like, or nothing at all. Logging is not required. You can listen all you want, no license required.

I'm not sure what purpose it serves to log stations heard but not worked. Personal satisfaction is all it gets you. You might study what frequencies and at what times you hear stations from which parts of the country/world. That will give you some insight when you are licensed to contact those stations on those frequencies. The more you know, the more you know!

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of unlicensed people are SWLs and just listen, log and send requests for QSLs , mostly to SWBC stations but sometimes to hams too. When I started out in the radio hobby I sent reception reports with QSL requests to FMBC stations I heard as far as 300 miles away with an indoor twinlead dipole and a 3 tube tuner with earphones. .I kept a detailed log of AM and FM and finally SW DX.
    Got confirmations from quite a few.

KM4OYP and W4CHE like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If I hear something I don't normally hear I'll sometimes log it, record an RST, and make a note "heard". If I try to reply to someone but can't make the contact I'll note that too. Just for future reference. Obviously not going to submit a "heard" or "n/c" for any awards but I'm not in it for awards anyway.

I'll sometimes log beacons, too.

Personal satisfaction counts for something. Otherwise what's the point of having a hobby?

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I started out as a Novice, you had to log every time you went on the air and transmitted. , I logged when I called CQ even if I got no answer.
    It was in the rules.

7. W9KHP

W9KHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Robert just a suggestion, take a few minutes to setup an eQSL.cc if you haven't already and send RST request that way. I have a couple of people across the pond that have heard me in PSK31 QSOs that have sent me request. I am happy to send them back an acknowledgment that the information they sent me from a QSO was accurate. It doesn't cost anything to try it that way. Worst thing can happen is they reject the request. No harm in that and it will get you ready for when you get through your General ticket and get into the HF bands with more activity. Good luck with your testing to come, you will enjoy what it opens up to you from analog to digital. I have had a blast with mine since I got my ticket back in Dec 2015. So much to do and not enough time to do it all.

de W9KHP

KG5ILR likes this.
  8. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, have it your way if you insist, but I prefer, "The more you know, the less you don't know." Ask Eric.

WD0BCT and W7UUU like this.
  9. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The rule I use is "will my spot probably help someone?" If I can't answer that with a confident "Yes", I don't spot.

To put my two cents in perspective, I chase DX 98% of the time, and I chase with my ears, not a computer screen. As for spotting only the stations I work is an unnecessary restriction. Just because I couldn't catch the attention of a rare station from my modest station doesn't mean others might not succeed. Furthermore, I can never know too much about current propagation, and some (but by no means all) spots provide useful propagation info. Spotting domestic contacts on HF is a waste of server bandwidth in my opinion, unless, as already stated it's for long-haul VHF-SHF. 73 and have fun!

10. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The more you study,The more you know.
    The more you know,The more you forget.
    The more you forget,The less you know.
    So why study?

WA7DU likes this.