ad: M2Ant-1

Sporadic E explanaton(s)

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KL7AJ, Jun 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted this a while back but well worth repeating. See the connection between Sporadic E, lightning, meteors, wind shear, and a few other atmospheric oddities!

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like if you live near bat cave or a locust infested farm field. Or it just happens because geese fly south and north. The best one involves lightning bugs.

RRK

KP4SX likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know about the lightning bugs, but lightning certainly stirs up some activity...

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Back about 40 years ago, and running 6 meters from the mobile, I noticed a connection between lightning and E-skip because 6 always seemed to open.

I never pursued the idea, but I did take notice of the effect.

Ever since then, when lighting is coming or just passed, I fire up 2 and 6 to see if anything is happening.

WA9SVD likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Long before I was a ham I was a TV-DXer as a kid. It always seemed to me that the openings were often consistent with a storm front passing thru. Some might say that was just ducting or tropo but I was in Charlotte and that really doesn't jive with picking up stations from Oklahoma or Iowa.
    One opening that will be forever memorable was when a Corpus Christi TV station sat down on us for 2-3 days as strong as a local. A reporter from the Charlotte News came by and took photos of us kids in front of the TV watching KRIS. There was a front page article in the paper! I wish there were archives where I could retrieve that!
    He happened to be W4OSJ who later gave me my Novice test.

WR2E likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I've noticed a correlation over the years to tornadic activity and Es.