ad: elecraft

Spontaneous Unaffiliated Volunteers in disasters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: QSOToday-1
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then you are qualified to contribute your experience and advice to the thread. What do you recommend when spontaneous volunteers show up and want to use amateur bands you rely on to support your community?

K5MIL likes this.
  2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

We have never relied upon spontaneous volunteers or amateur radio volunteers either in my professional experience or now as a resident of a community with an active CERT. for all the reasons mentioned -liability, training, dependability, knowledge, etc... all all unknowns and an emergency isn’t the time to start teaching. It’s too late then.

About the only scenario I can recall in which any volunteers were used effectively was while in the USCG when dealing with oil spill cleanup and volunteers were directed to the local Audubon Society for cleaning birds.

The Red Cross was also great for providing meals to the first response and cleanup crews

3. KG7LEA

KG7LEA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many communities are training residents to respond and support each other, but spontaneous volunteers show up and, unless managed somehow by established groups or emergency managers, they can be a problem. Some NGOs do a good job of incorporating these walk-ups and some local governments have plans to intake, process, evaluate, and deploy volunteers.

What can compound a problem is groups of these volunteers who tell each other they know more than local government. In the case of amateur radio we should be concerned that these groups—perhaps unlicensed—create interference.

WU8Y likes this.
  4. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you can give very detailed (dates, places, time, events that occurred) examples, right?

Bill - K5MIL

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I probably could but it certainly sounds like a futile effort. Having managed or been involved in conducting emergency response actions over a couple of decades and probably 100 incidents, the examples are too numerous to list. Consequently, I posted my opinion based on experience. If you doubt it, I’m fine with that.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
  6. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

This seems to have drifted away from anything ham radio oriented, so I'll offer this thought -
    A lot depends on if you land on the disaster or the disaster lands on you.
    I've experienced both theaters.
    Mike N3PM

N5PZJ, KX4O and KG7LEA like this.
  7. K5MIL

K5MIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Uh-huh, OK if you say so.

Bill - K5MIL

8. N1KWW

N1KWW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

During disasters help of any kind is appreciated IF they will abide by safety regulations and act in a manner helpful to victims with respect and understanding. Groups of "siren chasers" should be discouraged!