ad: elecraft

Spontaneous Unaffiliated Volunteers in disasters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our ARES organization has very STRICT rule, of NO self-deployment!! We only acivate when called so for by the served agencies. There of have been bad experiences of Hams showing up at disaster scenes!

KX4O, WU8Y, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  2. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Most I've seen have nice low draft rigs with jet engines. Some air boats.

N5PZJ likes this.
  3. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

Cajun Navy may be unique but I've heard amateurs loosely coordinate helping others during more local weather events. Usually ice storms or wind damage with trees coming down. Haven't heard a formal net.
    Not amateur radio but my cousin used his business radios in his construction equipment in NJ after Sandy to coordinate opening roads. Groups of local volunteers worked along with his guys. This was all volunteer. No one was paid and no one was paying for the work. No reason it couldn't have been amateurs doing the communications between volunteer crews.

Certainly real emergency tasks should be handled by government agencies. But there is often lot's of work that volunteers can do. This is especially true in rural areas where local governments are very lean and state and Federal help is few and far between.

K4PIH and N5PZJ like this.
  4. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Subscriber QRZ Page

On the case of the Cajun Navy, the rainstorms of 2016 came quickly and overwhelmed The Baton Rouge area, local emergency responders did not have the boats to rescue 100,000 people immediately! Ad-hoc rescue teams were put in service and served the purpose, you may not agree with premise, but it works.

The main radio used is Zello with VHF Marine radio.

K0IDT, AI7PM and K3XR like this.
  5. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope you never have to deal with a flood.

AI7PM and N5PZJ like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure it's fine to have a group of trained individuals ready to respond in an emergency. But an emergency is just that and you use all available resources when it comes to saving lives.

Apparently, the trained individuals did not have the boats to do the rescues and volunteers got together to offer their own boats and time to perform rescues. If those actions resulted in just one life being saved the training aspect is irrelevant.

K0IDT and N5PZJ like this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately I did, both while serving in the Coast Guard as the On Scene Coordinator and part of my career subsequent to that was at EPA included managing Federal response actions to environmental emergencies including floods. My cynicism is well-founded. I doubt anyone here will have broader experience. Volunteers are usually a far greater headache than an asset.

AG5DB, W4JFA and NL7W like this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If they are licensed they can do so. However, most emergency management organizations don't want the help of walk-ins. There are exceptions, but most will be unable to do simple message handling.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, whether or not these volunteers are welcome depends on which side of the fence you are on. Assuming you were not told to evacuate, but did get stranded and require rescue, you'd be damned happy to see the first folks to show up, regardless of who it is, especially if the official agencies are overwhelmed and may not show up until it is too late.

10. KA5IGI

KA5IGI Ham Member QRZ Page

There are a few thousand people in SE Texas that might disagree with you after the experience of Harvey.

K0IDT, N5PZJ and AD5HR like this.