Spontaneous Unaffiliated Volunteers in disasters

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG7LEA, Apr 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone have experience coordinating the communications of spontaneous unaffiliated volunteers such as The Cajun Navy, who show up at disasters and want to use amateur bands?

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I assuming too much, you do mean legal (licensed) use of the amateur bands?

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. It’s all bad. Undependable, not experienced, unmanageable, unpredictable and always hungry.

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I may regret asking this, but what the blazes is The Cajun Navy?

5. KG7LEA

Yes, legal, licensed, but not otherwise connected to the affected community and not affiliated with a local agency or a non-governmental organization, and unlicensed as well. Any experience?

6. KG7LEA

https://bit.ly/2BPnPCJ

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

I see. Interesting article, especially since it mentions there is more than one outfit that self-ID’s as The Cajun Navy.

If I may...

Are you asking the original question purely as an Amateur Radio operator, or as someone directly affiliated with a Served Agency such as the local police or emergency responders that you are aiding, or even as the Red Cross or Salvation Army? One would believe that if you are simply asking as a ham, you would let the appropriate officials at the Served Agency(s) involved deal with the matter.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s the euphemism given to the guys who show up unannounced and uninvited to disasters, typically flooding hence the name, and put often unsafe Jon boats with the ubiquitous over-powered 100 hp Evinrude engine hanging unbalanced off the back which half the time requires someone else to rescue them after running aground or run out of gas.

9. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

Does that make them "Amphibious Whackers"?

VE6KXL, K4KYV, WA5VGO and 8 others like this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page