Splicing 2 Icom Separation Cables

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by K0IRL, Nov 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
  1. K0IRL

K0IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody have any experience splicing two separation cables (ICOM OPC-581) together. Fitting a new truck with my 706mkIIg and I'd like to put the transceiver behind the back seat. The standard 11ft cable won't reach via the route I want to take under the upholstery. Any issues at all? Can't imagine it's anything more than a simple wire-to-wire solder, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks & 73

Chris K0IRL

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Before you do that, check around and see if you can find the 16 ft. (?) version of the cable. Icom did offer at least 2 lengths.

3. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't even try to splice the cable. The wire size is #24, and the shield wire about #40.

The original cables were 3 meters, and 4.5 meters, but I'd be surprised if you can find either one nowadays. Treat the transceiver with care. The finals, drivers, and the Tuner port interface chips are nonobtainium!

4. K0IRL

K0IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew they'd be tiny and a delicate job. But that got me to thinking. I pulled out the separation cable I already have (the other one is on its way). you can actually take the two ends and connect them. So it appears as if you could take two cables, connect them end to end. Hmm. Better than splicing those for sure. I think I'll send ICOM a message.

5. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't. Count yourself lucky that you can even buy a cable for the 706.

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have spliced the cable from an IC-7000. The wires are in the #30-#40 AWG area. I'm talking identical to old crystal radio earphone wire thin. It also has the nylon strands mixed into the conductor. A good magnifying glass & close cutting of all non conducting strands from all conductors (So I could solder to Amphenol 18 pin mil spec connector) took about 4 hours of checking again & again.
    Not for the inexperienced, or unsure.

Ed

7. KB3UWC

KB3UWC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page