Spiderbeam HD 40ft mast! I love it!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5QBF, Mar 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5GHM

K5GHM Ham Member QRZ Page

I just sold mine last week to finance a DX Commander purchase. Bought it on an impulse. Originally was going to use it for a ZS6BKW. Deployed it on the Spiderbeam once but ended up hanging it on some trees. Good and handy product. I'll probably get another one later. Really looking forward to getting the Commander though.

WA6FX, how do you have your ZS6BKW mounted on the pole? I just duct taped the center to mine for a test.

I know they're pretty solid and can take quite a bit of stress. I was impressed with the overall quality of the product. But I would like to see some comprehensive controlled tests done to see how much stress the HD 12m can take under a variety of conditions and loads.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    M1WML and AK5B like this.
  2. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have 3 of them, non-HD. I've used them to hold up dipoles during field day where no trees are nearby...balun on the center, and you know the rest.

I drive 24 inch long galvanized pipes straight into the ground with a wood block and sledgehammer and the base fits inside.

I've also used one to raise up a Diamond colinear dual bander when setting up cross band repeaters.

For guy wire mounts I used a hole saw and 1/4 inch plywood, drilled center holes for 2 different heights and anchor the rope ends with those bright orange plastic tent stakes. The only mast I typically anchor is the center one which holds the balun.

You may be OK backpacking with one, but they are 14 lbs each. When I do POTA or SOTA I bring my fishing pole and find trees.

M1WML, AK5B and K5QBF like this.
  3. K5QBF

K5QBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The 40ft HD is only 7lbs. The new mini’s should be in the States in a couple months. They are waiting on shipping from Germany.

They will be in 2 sizes:
    23ft which will weigh 2lbs 4oz
    32ft which will weigh 4lbs 14oz

M1WML, AJ6KZ and AK5B like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FIRST OF ALL...GREAT POST SHANE!

BUT...

I USED to believe that, cooperating with an HOA...and even becoming THE PRESIDENT of TWO separate HOA's as was the case in my own HOA CONUNDRUMS was a way to get SOMETHING up in the air that "coincides" and agreeable to the so-called "Architectural Review Committees" and the CC&R's. But lemme tell ya.

ALL A HAM NEEDS...APPROVAL OR NOT...is that one HOA NAZI, and they're RARELY FAIL to rear their collective UGLY FAT FACES...to the begin their 6itch-moan-whine-and cry-fest...

...ANNNNNND, you're done!

Here in HOA RIDDELED Florida, if it isn't hidden...REALLY HIDDEN...or a high dollar flagpole antenna, best get you a bass boat and learn to fish!

But, you better have a place TO KEEP THE BASS BOAT, cuz you sure-in-hell ain't keeping on your HOA governed property!

Do we really need to review the moral of this story?

KE4YMX, K3OXL, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  5. K5QBF

I guess technically you could put a flag up on the top of these haha. We are in 100% agreement with the disdain for HOA.

KE4YMX, M1WML, AJ6KZ and 1 other person like this.
  6. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one of these a few years back when I first got on the air. I put it up in my back yard and attached the end of a myantennas 80-10p half wave antenna and extended it all the way up. It looked like a surf fishing rod with a huge fish on! I used the clamps on each section which is recommended for semi perm use. It was up for over a year with no issues. Even when covered in ice and snow a few times in the Minnesota winter.

I'm going to deploy it next with a 2m loop for a few years!

M1WML, AJ6KZ and K5QBF like this.
  7. WA6FX

WA6FX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did exactly what you're not supposed to do.... I mounted it to ring at the very top. I have the east leg attached to the top of a Jackite 31' fiberglass pole as well. That pole is strapped to a fence.
    The west leg is run to a 35' tree. There is some decent bending at the top of the two poles, consequently the two legs of the antenna always have some light tension
    on them which seems to work to an advantage. I've watched this system bounce around in high winds but it never seems to put much stress on the antenna because of the way it is "tensioned"
    Been up for a year now, and is the best antenna I've worked with at this location. I feed it at the bottom with a remote ATU, so its a pretty darn good performer on 40-6 meters, Does 80 meters
    pretty well too.

M1WML, K5GHM and K5QBF like this.
  8. KA3CNC

KA3CNC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also have one...the 40 ft and the 60 ft version....They are great!!...I have a piece of pvc pipe cemented into a 5 gallon bucket to use for a base that I slip it in to and guy it in the middle.

M1WML, AJ6KZ and K5QBF like this.
  9. K5QBF

I saw they have an 85ft version now.

M1WML and AB0R like this.
  10. DU3LA

DU3LA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have also made a 2 el vertical HF wire yagi with the fiberglass mast.
    It work FB on the ocean!
    This link is for a dipole array, I made my 2 el yagi very similar on one pole.
    http://lagunaria-dx-group.org/projects/4ElementVerticalDipoleArray_EN.pdf

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    M1WML, N6SPP, K5QBF and 2 others like this.