Speech To Morse Code Demo

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N3HEE, Oct 8, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I won't be impressed with Morse decoders until they can decode weak-signal Morse, and Morse sent by human beings, and not just Morse sent by other computers over a very solid signal path.

I worked T30GC last night with 100 watts and a mediocre antenna. If either of us had been dependent on a Morse decoder, that QSO would NOT have happened on CW, but might have on FT8.

WN1MB and PU2OZT like this.
  2. K7RAW

K7RAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi. Can you please post your Node Red flow? I'm trying to build a NR-based multi-message memory key app for QRP and I'd love to see how you generated your tone output in Node Red (assuming the sound I heard was the NR dashboard and not your rig).

GM4CAM likes this.
  3. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Henceforth, please program all super-computers to use their processing power to

inhibit the word "IS".

Thank you.

WN1MB likes this.
  4. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

" One of these days " Ma & Pa Kettle , Pa's typical saying to getting something done ;)
    Is what I have been telling myself about learning / practicing CW .

So even as a non - at this time , one of these days , ham .

I like to see many kinds of tech , but I am turned off by make-be-leave , fakes , makeup etc.

Not that that this shouldn't happen , it seems to me to take away some of the motivation to learn CW .
    When contesting with other club members and going to the CW shack , many would use computer keyboard & use F-keys for responses , I know that they could interpret CW , but I would tease them about cheating , jokingly .

I got into ham to talk / phone / voice to the world , I consider CW within that .
    To me doing all the other digital modes just seems to take-away from meeting others over the air .

But by all means keep developing tech of all kinds , there's more than one way to , skin a cat etc. ;)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  5. K5TSK

K5TSK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I wouldn't use it even if a rev. 301.3.2 version was out but I've often wondered if the modules weren't out there to cobble it all together.

Now if we could get the software to run a machine to weave baskets. Maybe a Zuni, Cherokee, Creek version.. Good luck and have fun.
    By the way, the code software would not have to be perfectly polished. Software writers have been training US for years to use what they couldn't program in.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The few Morse decoding programs I have witnessed NEVER seem to get solid copy if there is ANY QRM or QRN, I sat there and wrote down the text being sent on paper for the demonstrator and had solid copy while the decoder copied gibberish !
    It sems like a voice to Morse encoder/translator would take pages, and pages, and pages, and pages, and pages of code to program.

7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you had some fun and learned something useful. Kinda like ham radio is supposed to be.

Next..how about speech to PSK31?

8. GM4CAM

GM4CAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would be interested in viewing the node-red flow as well :) I've been a fan of node-red for a long time but recently started playing with Watson STT and TTS services after the demise of SNIPS [which was a cool "on-device" STT/TTS capability ... ie you didn't need to be connected to the internet or a commercial provider of speech to text services. Unfortunately they sold out to Sonos and like 30,000 other makers, I had to look for an alternative :-( ]
    I have no issues with automated v human reception of morse - I can do both :) I was Merchant Navy Radio Officer and then Software Engineer and to paraphrase another poster - "it's all about self training and technology"

9. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I want to see how it handles Pittsburghese, Joisy, and Bah Hah-bah, Maine "flavors"...

AD5HR likes this.
  10. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

If it tries a drawl from the Texas panhandle, it will definitely
    be QRS.

WN1MB likes this.